Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dyslexia tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been told at uni that 'it is within my interests' that I should be tested for dyslexia as I am doing an art course (aparently a lot of people in the artistic field have dyslexia) and I show a lot of symptoms of it (spelling handwriting behaviour etc.) and my Dad has it (is it genetic?). So I was just wondering if anyone has been tested for it before and what will happen?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had the test in my final year at university.

They will ask you to look at words, read some out, tell them which is the correct spelling. They may also get you to read a passage of text, usually which makes no sense. There are also puzzles to do that don’t involve words but shapes.

The bit I found hard was remembering a sequence of numbers, a bit like remembering a telephone number. I struggle to remember my pin number! So had no chance at relaying a 10 digit number straight back to the assessor.

But just make sure you don’t have the hangover from hell like I did. It really didn’t help. :)

Also make sure you ask for all the help your entitled to if your are dyslexic, I got nothing so for me it was a complete waste of time. Push for everything your entitled too. As I found out some lectures simply will not even acknowledge the condition exists and wasn’t given anything in the way of help. But I’m sure there are loads of staff at uni that will give you the extra help you might need.

Hope that helps :thumb: