Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

c'est possible? DVI my Wii

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I get a Nintendo Wii, would it be possible to use it with a flatscreen computer monitor that has a dvi connector? Or is it just a whole load of hassle I don't want to get into? Just don't want a seperate TV at university and stuff.

Comments

• Options
    p.s. I'm getting a widescreen i.e. 16:9 aspect ratio, but that shouldn't be a problem as you could set games to widescreen on the N64 so I'll be surprised if the Wii cant.

*excited*

Yea, my computer, Wii and DVD player all in one. Maybe my TV too, but I'm not going to bother getting a TV licence so probably not unless I'm at home. Unless I can hide the USB dongle somewhere at uni :chin: (yes, I'm naughty)
  • Options
    S-Video, component or composite output according to Wikipedia. If you haven't actually bought a monitor yet, you can get them with S-Video and composite inputs no problem. I'm the same in that I've just got a monitor rather than a TV now, but it's got S-Video and composite inputs.
  • Options
    http://www.gnr.co.uk/products.jsp?pct=lcd&&ss=19

Bottom one...

Hmmm doesn't look like it's got the s-video or composite inputs on the monitor... but I looked at my graphics card and it has a s-video input I think. But surely that would be laggy, really I just wanted to turn on the wii, plug it into the monitor and go...

Haven't bought it yet, but still looking...

I might go with my original samsung idea, saw that monitor there ^^^ on ebuyer.co.uk for £140 so thought it was cheap. But for £20 more to get a good name - Samsung Syncmaster SM940BW

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/wide/ls19hawcshedc.asp

Signal Input

Input Video Signal
    Analog RGB, DVI Digital Link:TMDS

Sync Type
    Separate H/V, Composite , SOG

Input Connectors
    15pin D-sub, DVI-D

(whatever they mean)

It says with sync type 'composite' but since the input connector is a 15pin d-sub or a dvi-d, none of these are s-video :(. So what do I do? Can I get a s video to dvi d? That's hoping that s video is digital, but AFAIK all consoles have digital signal now, not since the snes have I had to tune it in. GRAHH
  • Options
    I think you're looking at about £300 for one that will work well as a TV as well to be honest. When I was looking for mine, I never found one with s-video for less than around that. I ended up getting a Dell one.
  • Options
    shame DVI isn't there, my new 19" flatscreen has DVI but no s-video.
  • Options
    :chin:

I'm sure I can of some way to bodge it together...