Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Coffee

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lately, coffee has been making me more tired

:confused:

Dont understand!

Is it because when you have it, it will only keep you alert if your actually doing something, therefore it wont have any effect while lounging around vegetating?

Comments

• Options
    i find that if i drink too much coffee it makes me more tired. I thought i was just weird lol.
    I cut down cos of this and now it works again :yes:
  • Options
    Ah...so i could be kinda immune to it.

Good thinking batman.
  • Options
    For me, with caffiene, it doesn't really help with waking up, or becoming more awake, just with... can't really explain it...

Like for a while the only time I drink caffiene is when I drive long distances, by the end, I will be very exausted, but not tired. My body will be awake, but my mind still will not be.

coffee causes poop too :razz:
  • Options
    This website explains how caffeine works:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/caffeine.htm

It put me off caffeine (for a bit)
  • Options
    Coffee of good brand doesn’t give such negative effects. My mom always complained that she was “tired from coffee”, but after we started to order and to drink Javaberry, she just feels that coffee is tasty and that she has energy enough to work.
  • Options
    thats cos java is a stronger bean, and not because its a better brand. Your body gets a tolerance to any drug including caffiene, and will need more and more or stronger and stronger to get the same effect.
  • Options
    I dont the scientific terms n shit but the basic principal; you have a dose of coffee/sugar you get this really great temporary high, then when it soon wears of, you get brought straight back down to earth feeling worse than you did before. Thats why complex carbohydrates are better cos you get sustained energy for a longer period of time.

Hope it helps.x
  • Options
    dancin_k8i wrote:
    I dont the scientific terms n shit but the basic principal; you have a dose of coffee/sugar you get this really great temporary high, then when it soon wears of, you get brought straight back down to earth feeling worse than you did before. Thats why complex carbohydrates are better cos you get sustained energy for a longer period of time.

Hope it helps.x

i get sleepy soon as i have drunk it. rather than the effects wearing off, there is none in the first place
  • Options
    your're not drinking decaf then? :p
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    your're not drinking decaf then? :p

:lol: knew someone would bring that up

Nah its defo not the decaf kind
  • Options
    Coffee doesn't keep you awake.

It just increases the alertness of certain senses.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    :lol: knew someone would bring that up

Nah its defo not the decaf kind
    I fully approve of your new avatar.

I think i could probably recite most of that story off by heart!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    for me it doesnt work like that. If I drink too much, it will start having the effect of making me feel tired, but i still wouldnt be able to sleep. Its weird really. If i cut down and reduce my tolerance, it starts working as a stimulant again.
    Logically it shouldnt work like that, but it does.
  • Options
    for me it doesnt work like that. If I drink too much, it will start having the effect of making me feel tired, but i still wouldnt be able to sleep. Its weird really. If i cut down and reduce my tolerance, it starts working as a stimulant again.
    Logically it shouldnt work like that, but it does.

It actually should work like that, it is like a drug, your body get the habit of having a large amount so the more you drink the less effects it have... a bit like I have with weed, if I have a lot I smoke a lot and end up not feeling that stone, but if I stop for a while or have small amount of weed, so smoking smaller spliff I get stoned more...
  • Options
    yeah, but youd think it would just stop working, not actually make me feel MORE tired.
  • Options
    yeah, but youd think it would just stop working, not actually make me feel MORE tired.

overdose or something maybe...
  • Options
    Coffee is in general quite a crap stimulant, it doesnt strongly stimulate the fight/flight response which is what would get you going. And its also rubbish at getting the body to look for and use food (unlike amphetamines)

Its also a very poor stimulant to have in the afternoon because of its action on melatonin, this is the chemical in the brain which makes you think its bed time. It falls at sunrise (which is why its hard to work at nights) the gradually rises towards bed time, but its reduced by coffee. The problem is that this action on meletonin is longer than its stimulant effect, so you wont be able to sleep but you wont be able to do anything but lay there awake.

Because of its poor action at getting the body to use food to get it to really work it has to be combined with sugar.
  • Options
    I used to drink about 3 cups a day and then went on a diet and cut down, I had the worst headaches I have ever felt. Only have one cup now first thing in the morning.

I didn't think 3 cups was excessive but I certainly felt the effects from stopping.
  • Options
    thats cos java is a stronger bean, and not because its a better brand. Your body gets a tolerance to any drug including caffiene, and will need more and more or stronger and stronger to get the same effect.
    Yea may be that explains that she feels more energy, but how to explain that she doesn't use sugar or milk when drinking Javaberry or another good brand? She doesn’t do it just because the coffee is taste. I think that coffee is a thing which MUST be prepared right (I speak about drying, roasting and so on). So when we drink coffee of good brand we drink just well prepared coffee and don't tired of it because of it's quality.
  • Options
    The "quality" of the brand makes little difference to the caffeine.
  • Options
    coffee is bad but she is the dark goddess, closely followed by pepsi max, and I adore her. I drink t straight and black but put a spoon of sugar in if I need a perk.
  • Options
    I cant function without caffiene. I get really bad bad headaches if I dont have it, and it makes me wanna cry. Withdrawel I suppose.