Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

healthy soups??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya as i had a post a few weeks ago that i am dieting and dont seem to be loosing weight, i am considering going on sort of a liquid diet which means for my dinner and luch i will be just eating soup,, dos any one know a good halthy soup u can buy in the tin as i cannont make soup,

Comments

• Options
    hiya as i had a post a few weeks ago that i am dieting and dont seem to be loosing weight, i am considering going on sort of a liquid diet which means for my dinner and luch i will be just eating soup,, dos any one know a good halthy soup u can buy in the tin as i cannont make soup,
    dont go for creamy ones, like tomato or cream of chicken/mushroom etc

go for broths and vegetable ones

hope this helps :)
  • Options
    thanks for the help hun, will go for the broths or vege ones,
  • Options
    Are you exercising at all?

I don't know about you, but if I went on a diet like this my stomach would riot. I tried to live on noodles last year and two days in I felt sick.

You should try to learn to make some easy soups and add something solid in it. It doesn't have to be a lot but just something with substance so you're not just intaking a bit of flavor and lots of water. When I have instant cup soups I'm usually hungry again within the hour.

Also, fruit and veg is your friend. If you go for this, eat that as well. And exercise.
  • Options
    ok thanks ver much.:chin:
  • Options
    Making soup is so mega easy and much better for you than canned which often have loads of salt. Just fry an onion, maybe some garlic, add whatever veg (broccoli, carrot, potato, leek, ANYTHING) and enough stock so the veggies are swimming. Cook until everything is done, put in a blender and whizz

Or even easier use canned pulses, cook an onion in a saucepan, add tablespoon of sundried tomato paste, teaspoon of pesto and a can of butter beans. Heat up and then whizz in the blender. Less than 5 mins :)
  • Options
    what she said! carrot soup is so easy homemade that even a non-cooker like myself can do it. Be wary of the salt levels in pre-packaged soups...
  • Options
    has anyone got a list of ingredients for carrot soup please??
  • Options
    Any variation of carrots and stock. You can add onion, garlic, coriander etc for flavour. Do a search on google there will be loads
  • Options
    i keep tinned soup in the cupboard for lunches sometimes. Infinitely better than some instant meals, especially if you try and get a reasonably healthy one. Baxters do a healthy choice range,a which has lots of things like beans and pulses and various vegetables. You could do a lot worse. Yes soups arent hard to make, but still a bit of a faff if youre not used to cooking.
    I really recommend baxters chicken broth and scotch broth :yum:
  • Options
    Campbell's Select. You can get them in personal sized microwavable things too. I eat them for lunch alot. They come in so so many delicious flavors and are healthy too. Example nutrition label
    Campbell's Chunky too :yum:Here is a Chunky's label
  • Options
    All this is making me want soup. :yum:

And since today I made a 'booster' for the first time for lunch since I moved to uni, I recommend that if you want something different. I'm not sure if you have curd over there, but it's a dairy product with high protein levels. It's a bit similar to yoghurt. I put a bit of that in a mixer, then throw whatever fruit I like as well, and some juice (some people use milk). You mix it all together and with the curd it's just like a milkshake, only MUCH healthier. :yum: Not tried it with yoghurt, might give it a go sometime. It'll probably not be as thick though.

It takes 3 minutes to prepare! I had rasperries (frozen), a banana and a mixed fruit juice in mine as well as the vanilla flavored curd. Two hours later I'm still full up! :)
  • Options
    you can very easily make youre own soup :) which is purely out of vegetables so is practically calorie free :D

just fill a pan with water, add cut up parsnip, carrot, onion and turnip (could also add lentils if wanted) then add a couple of stock cubes of your choice (i use chicken!!)
    then boil until the veggies are soft and then add liberal amounts of salt and pepper (however much you want!) DONE!

it is seriously veery yummy!!!
    plus, if you wanted to add some protein to it then you can easily just add some chicken breast to it/ beef or whatever meat you fancy

when i cant be bothered making my own soup however, i usually have weightwatchers cans of mushroom/tomato ones. yummy
    and today for lunch i had some red dragon 'chicken and sweetcorn soup' which was also very nice. only 160 cals per tin i think
  • Options
    Always check the nutritional labels on soup - i bought a load of healthy option type ones from Tescos and they all had higher calories fat and salt than the non heatlhy soups I bought from there.

but as everyone else has said its better if you make your own.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    I had rasperries (frozen), a banana and a mixed fruit juice in mine as well as the vanilla flavored curd.

that sounds LUSH!!
  • Options
    thanks for all the great sugesstions people,
  • Options
    has anyone got a list of ingredients for carrot soup please??

Try

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes

or

www.deliaonline.com

Type 'soup' in the search engines and you'll have a good variety to choose from.
  • Options
    If it hasn't been mentioned already Baxters Broths are lovely and healthy, easy too.
  • Options
    If i can make soup so can you. I hate cooking.
    Weight watchers no point soup...

You will need:
    • Small can of chopped tomatoes
    • 2 carrots (chopped)
    • An onion (chopped)
    • A courgette (chopped)
    • A vegetable stock cube
    • 1/2 pint water
    • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan.

2. Cover and cook until the vegetables are soft (about 20 mins).
    For a smooth soup, puree all the ingredients in a blender.
    For a chunky soup, just puree half the mixture.

3. Return to the saucepan and heat through.

Personally i just use a potato masher for mine.
    Tastes yummy.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    If i can make soup so can you. I hate cooking.
    Weight watchers no point soup...

You will need:
    • Small can of chopped tomatoes
    • 2 carrots (chopped)
    • An onion (chopped)
    • A courgette (chopped)
    • A vegetable stock cube
    • 1/2 pint water
    • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan.

2. Cover and cook until the vegetables are soft (about 20 mins).
    For a smooth soup, puree all the ingredients in a blender.
    For a chunky soup, just puree half the mixture.

3. Return to the saucepan and heat through.

Personally i just use a potato masher for mine.
    Tastes yummy.
    That sounds :yum:
  • Options
    nice one tweety! there's no soup dinner sorted. I might stir in a spoon of cream after blending though.

My advice for the blender- don't buy one of those machines if it's just for making soup coz they're a pain to wash. Just get a handheld whizzer from tesco for a fiver.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    That sounds :yum:
    It is :D i am experiementing adding lentils atm hehe.
  • Options

Most canned soups are very low in caloroes anywhy - like less then 200 calories which is less then a lot of chocolate bars

so eat whatever flavours take your fancy.. but the recent ASDA low salt range is tastless.
  • Options
    heinz chicken noodle soup is 110 calories a tin - superslimline :yes:
    To have a whole tin of soup is quite filling as well so it is a good diet food.
  • Options
    i love soup - but yeah best bet is to make your own! What every1 else has said really, fry up some veg, and stock, chuck it in the liquidiser and your done! and its nicer too!!