Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Holodeck, Transporter or Food Replicator?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Found that in another forum and it looks interesting:

You can have one of following three technologies from Star Trek: Holodeck, Transporter or Food Replicator. You are the only person in the world that has it. Which one do you choose?

More Details:

Transporter
The Transporter comes with Chief O'Brien to operate it, and you will be equipped a Star Trek-esque communicator to have him beam you places. You must feed, clothe and house him, and figure out where to place the Transporter. Keep in mind that this is the most visible of the technologies (you'll be appearing places) and if people find out about it, they may try steal it from you. (This goes for all three, but like I said, this one will be the most visible.)

Food Replicator
The Food Replicator is equipped with all foods through 24th century. The food is synthesized out of a nutritionally perfect composite, so you can pretty much eat whatever you want and it will be healthy. It replicates only food and the container the food is in.

Holodeck
Any room in your house can easily be converted into a Holodeck. The main problem with the Holodeck is that your 21st century mind may overload, and you run the risk of no longer being able distinguish fantasy from reality. Anything the Holodeck makes is intangible ones it is turned off, meaning you can't replicate food and eat it. (I mean, you *could*, but you would gain no sustinence.)

The transporter comes with someone to operate it, but the Food Replicator and Holodeck are voice activated. You can just say "lasagna made by my mom" or "fried chicken, KFC, 2 piece white meat, biscuit, mashed potatoes with gravy" or "Alec Baldwin dressed in leather with a goat and DIane Sawyer" and it would give you whatever you want.

No matter which one you choose, you also get Geordi LaForge, who will arrive every now and then for repairs and perodic maintenance. He does NOT hang out at your place. He teleports in fixes what he needs to and teleports out. Whatever you pick also has its own self-sustaining power-source, which Geordi can repair or replace if anything happens.

Personally, I'm gonna have to say Food Replicator. As much as I want to say Transporter, the logistics behind it just seem like too much of a pain.

Comments

• Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Mmmmmmm. Definitely the Food Replicator. Inconspicious and it makes life so much easier. Just think how easy it would be to have some friends round and get them the food of their choice.
  • Options
    Saeed M wrote:
    Mmmmmmm. Definitely the Food Replicator. Inconspicious and it makes life so much easier. Just think how easy it would be to have some friends round and get them the food of their choice.

think about opening a restaurant and getting RICH! :hyper:

I am unsure, I am a total travel man and food is not soooo expensive. think about going places with the transporter like to thailand and pay 1 quid for a stuffing meal + drinks, think about all the super cheap and immediate holidays.

undecided, undecided.
  • Options
    Saeed M wrote:
    I agree. No more food shopping!:thumb:
  • Options
    Foooooooooooood.
  • Options
    TBH I would go with the Transporter. Instantanious transportation anywhere. the possibilities are endless.
  • Options
    Firefly-86 wrote:
    TBH I would go with the Transporter. Instantanious transportation anywhere. the possibilities are endless.

yeah, that was my preferec choice as well..

all those small minds are already happy with the food ;p
  • Options
    I would feed hungry people with it though, not just myself. It's nice to share :p
  • Options
    I would feed hungry people with it though, not just myself. It's nice to share :p

well, if you go public with it, you'll probably have to answer a lot of questions ^^

Chances are you won't have it for too long then :p
  • Options
    If you have your own Transporter you go anywhere and come back, and transport anything to anywhere e.g. take George Bush out of the Whitehouse and put him on the moon for instance.

You could also steal the food off anyone's plate in the world, so you'd never go hungry.
  • Options
    Oh I presumed that people would know I had it. Like, "Oh there's that girl with the food replicator feeding the 5000 again." Although, it would be useful if I could team up with the person who got the transporter, so we could transport the food anywhere :p
  • Options
    again would have to be the food replicator :D:D

no more bribing my brother to go up the shop for me for £20 when i want cake :D
  • Options
    about the transporter.

what does it do with the original molecules (you)? where does it go?

where does it take the molecules to re-energise(?) you? cant be from the surroundings cos those molecules are being used by other matter?

what happens to the information the machine uses to copy you? what if someone gets hold of this info before it is deleted? what if someone makes a second copy of you somewhere? it will have the same memories, experience as you at the point of energising(?)
  • Options
    Iron Nic wrote:
    about the transporter.

what does it do with the original molecules (you)? where does it go?

where does it take the molecules to re-energise(?) you? cant be from the surroundings cos those molecules are being used by other matter?

what happens to the information the machine uses to copy you? what if someone gets hold of this info before it is deleted? what if someone makes a second copy of you somewhere? it will have the same memories, experience as you at the point of energising(?)

Ok, this might be a bit difficult, but regarding the brownsh-hersey-theory it is not a question of who replicates the molecules of any matter up to the tenth dimension. The super-philodric timeconstant (to glean in asthenbury's book of thermonuclear equilibriumbollocks) is uncopyable since it's changing it structure an infinite amount of times per second.

The information you are speaking about is not restoreable, because it's generated by 30 9-year old chinese boys memorizing numbers, locked in a hermetical enclosed box rigged with explosives, not unlike Schroedingers Cat.

I hope I could help you with the science.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Food. Duh.