Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where Do Animals Go To Die?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here's a thought - maybe you folks in the country see it differently - but here in London you see birds everywhere (for example) BUT you hardly ever seem to see one that's died... usually only if a cat got it - so where do they go to die?

or do other animals just gobble them up so you don't get to see them?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe they all go to the countryside? :confused:

You see loads of dead stuff round here :yes:

My cat brought in half a rabbit the other week :( The rabbit was as big as he was (well, would have been if it had been whole), so it wasn't the cat who killed it.
  • Options
    If it's a bird, they normally head towards the ground :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If it's a bird, they normally head towards the ground :D
    Do you know that joke, where there are two stupid people walking, and at some point one says "Wow, a dead pigeon!" and the other looks at the sky and says "Where? Where?"? :p
  • Options
    If you open your eyes, there are dead animals everywhere. I hate it, it's really upsetting. But then I'm animal mad and can't bear to think of them going through pain! I havent read the rest of this thread in case there's anything mean in here!
  • Options
    You don't often see dead animals in the country either. Bones, yes, but rarely whole carcasses. Rats or mice and bugs eat the bodies in cities, and often larger animals as well. Kids also often pick up weak animals and when they die they bury them (been there.. ;)). Out in the nature ravens are quick to show up, and foxes and minks are also roaming about here in Iceland. Farmers usually take care of the large bodies.

It's only when a lot die at the same time that it gets noticed. Like we had a seagull plaguing the city this summer and when people saw those who had been shot washed up on the shores they got terribly upset. :P

Usually when animals know they are dying (they don't know per se, but they're weak and can't do much and that they know full well) they withdraw to a 'safe spot' and stay there until the end.
  • Options
    I see lots of dead aminals. BUt I don't think any of them are from natural causes. Unless animals are real smart and they run into the middle of the road right before they die, so it looks like it was murder, when in fact it was natural and they were dead before the car/semi hit. They should preform animal autoposies to find out.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Do you know that joke, where there are two stupid people walking, and at some point one says "Wow, a dead pigeon!" and the other looks at the sky and says "Where? Where?"? :p
    Thats my fave! its a blonde joke!
    But when i tell it its not a pigeon, i dont like them and dont like to be reminded of them :no:
  • Options
    Q: where do animals go to die

A: The highway....http://ednet.rvc.cc.il.us/~jlbecker/00000000-00000000.8/free%20cat.jpg
  • Options
    My grandma's cat went to die in the hedge :)
  • Options
    The A61.

I drove past a myriad of animal carcasses tonight. And there has been a dead hedgehog by the side of the road on my way to work for nearly 2 weeks now.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I live in the sticks and it's pretty much the same.

They're are plenty of other little critters out there that go aroudn doing the tidying. Nothings watsed.

The most common dead animals I see are probably deer because they generally take longer to go.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    There is a dead sparrow outside my house. It's eyes are closed and it looks just like a normal sparrow except it's dead and not flying or anything. There were flies on it.

Kaff, the A361 is another road for animal carcasses - mainly badgers at the moment but also foxes, rabbits, hedgehogs and deer.
  • Options
    I hate hate hate seeing dead animals on the road, especially unsquashed ones. There's a fox been lying on the edge of the outside lane on the motorway here for over a week now. And last Friday I was heading home in rush hour traffic and a Boxer dog had ran onto the motorway, needless to say it didnt last long :(
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I hate hate hate seeing dead animals on the road.

Yup, I find that most upsetting also.
  • Options
    In coincidence with this thread, I saw what was probably once a dead animal on the road today. But it was squished to the point it looked like a cheap fur run in a high traffic area of a living room that somebody had been stabbed over. I didn't see it in time to swerve and added to its flatness.

I think the worse is the decapitated dear though. Especially that one last year where it was a good half a mile before I saw what could have been the head from the body. See those more than you would think...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Glittery wrote:
    I hate hate hate seeing dead animals on the road, especially unsquashed ones.
    Really? I think the squashed ones are worse, disgusting as well as sad. I've seen all kinds of bloody messes, scaly, feathery and furry. :yuck: