Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Annoying graphics corruption

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I do not understand it.

My graphics card seems to be caput. I say seems because I can't fathom why it would suddenly go on the blink, and because it's perfectly fine right now. But I know that if I start up a game it'll be screwy in about five minutes.

Basically whenever I use any 3D content I get oddness on the screen. Dots appear, and then in a few seconds the screen is just a load of dots that vaguely resembles the picutre that should be there, as if all the textures have gone and just left edges of dots.

So it's a driver issue then yes? Except I've reinstalled known good drivers, reinstalled Direct-X and all that rubbish AND sometimes after the corruption, if I turn off and turn on again, the corruption is still there in the bios screen (so way before any drivers are involved).

So what's wrong? Heat? Well I thought possibly, but the corruption still happens even when the card is running "cool" (which is 57 degfrees for this card). (Anyone else with a Nvidia card please let me know what yours runs at)

So if you have any ideas let me know, otherwise I have to buy another AGP graphics card, which is a pain in the arse as mine is near the top end of what was available in AGP, and it's especially crap if it turns out not to be the card at all that's causing the problem. (Though I can't imagine what else it is).

Other symptoms include corruption of icons and other windows-based graphics (but only after I've used a 3D app to start it off, or if I've rebooted and it's already there.)

Comments

• Options
    Underclock the card by 20% and see if the corruption stops. It might just be that part of the card is 'tired' and can no longer perform correctly at the default speeds... but you'll end up replacing it, IMO :).

Have you checked the voltages being given out from your PSU? A lower working voltage will significantly affect electrical components. Even if the PSU is giving out decent power, there may be a voltage regulator on the video card itself that has fallen out of spec...
  • Options
    Sounds like you're getting artifacts, like said underclock to see if it goes away. That temperature is fine, my 6600gt is running at around 55c with no overclock.
  • Options
    I guess it must be tired and overworked. Boo.
  • Options
    Artefacting in my experience is caused by too much load / heat. But it seems unusual that it's happening in the BIOS screen.

Have you got any warranty with it? Better to try and see if you can get a replacement than buying a new one. What card is it, btw? I think you can get radeon x1300 for £40, and though I was skeptical (they're budget range cards) I compared the specs to my overclocked, softmodded radeon 9800

Mine:
    my core clock: 402.55
    memory clock: 301.91
    memory: 128

Sapphire Radeon x1300 standard:
    core clock: 450
    memory speed: 500
    memory: 256

Here's one for £60... but look around and you can probably get a good deal. Tempted myself but think I'll stick with the radeon. It can run any game I throw at it, except can't run AA in Oblivion because they borked the coding.
  • Options
    Gawd knows what it is. I'm guessing that somehow the video memory has become corrupted. I was looking around at AGP cards, but was fairly annoyed because nothing much would be that much better than my existing card, and would still cost 200 quid plus if it did.

So I've got a PCI-Express 7950 GT OC on the way, with a PCI-Express motherboard to plug it into, and a PSU to run it.

Freakin expensive these graphics cards :(

If I wasn't a geek, I could have got something for 40 quid.
  • Options
    i saw a 512mb one on AGP for £65, when looking for components, you should always use Kelkoo, you'l lfind laods of places with great deals.
  • Options
    You could have got that crazy Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ DX10 card from Overclockers for £200 special offer last week, only 1500 made! But I guess buying the best AGP is just delaying the inevitable!
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    But I guess buying the best AGP is just delaying the inevitable!

This was also part of the decision.