Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Solve this situation?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, a bit of a weird one this.

Say you had a friend, you'd known him/her since you started at high school. Now you're at uni, and he/she is finding it difficult to find a place to live, having finished uni and started working.

The last year of uni he/she was living in the same house as you, and has continued renting over the summer. Now you and someone else are moving back in (taking over the friend's room).

You also have a huge lounge which never gets used, do you let the friend stay? If so, for how long?

Comments

• Options
    for as long as I would want them to let me stay were the situations reversed.

ETA: maybe eight weeks- time to get a job and save a deposit.
  • Options
    Imo it would depend on how they want to take the situation. Would it be a rent free kind of thing or help with the rent or other household things? I'd let them stay as long as they held up their end of whatever the deal was.
  • Options
    I would also write them a letter saying: "to whom it may concern, I am allowing Friend's Name to stay with me as a temporary measure. The living situation is not suitable as a long term arrangement and I will be unable to accomadate him beyond (insert date here)." I might be wrong but such a letter might be usefull for getting on the housing association lists, if he wants to go that way. He or you can ask CAB for further advice.
  • Options
    Of course they have to pay for their own food, but actually I find it easier and cheaper to buy and cook for 2 people as the accumulated costs of 2 speerate meals. If he helps out in the household, why not?

This is not a "For all I care"-situation, but I totally think this would be cool. First of all you help a friend in need, second of all: In times of need you want to be able to have someone give you a hand as well.