Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A little Insight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well Probabley a rather large insight but anyway, Ive been around here for a month or so now so I thought it was high time I told people why I was actually here. This is could be a long one.

I was informally diagnosed with dyslexia and dispraxia a while ago how(10 or more years ago now) While its not serious it was enough to hinder performance at school although having recieved help and so-on I am now at University. Anyway I get ahead of myself, School wasn't exactly the happiest of time for me I recieved a fair amount of verbal bullying, to which i was not able to really respond due maybe to the afore mentioned things and i have never been the most vocal of people at any time. I had very few friends at school and so rarely talked to anyone.

Looking back I suppose I bottled up my feelings, I didn't tell anyone anything at the time and im finding it hard to write this now because it bringing back the old memories. I still do bottle up my feelings and i still havent told anyone until now.

Anyway things hit rock bottom in sixth form. My one and only friend had to move down a year to retake his first year of sixth form and I had a fair amount of work to do to do my A-Levels. I was basically alone all the time that year.

Still I passed my A-Levels and got to a good Uni. The verbal bullying stopped at Uni. I should have mentioned earlier that this was to do with my name because at Uni of course you only know each others first name which wors just fine for me. Anyway apart from that nothing really changed I still lived at home and the world continued to revolve. Yes I live at home while still being at Uni, probabley not the wisest decision ive made but there we go.

Im still at Uni about to retake my second year, I have no friends (except old school friend) no social life and dont have and never have had a gf. I have led a very sheltered life and I dont drink and I have a serious aversion to crowded rooms. I do get out occasionally to play with the band but thats it.

I dont know what im looking for with this thread but i suppose I'll take anything I can get.

Thank you for your time.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    feels like a small weight has been lifted now
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I'm glad just voicing your feelings on the board has helped.

It's not really so bad that you're still at home whilst in uni. It actually helped me a lot in keeping my finances in check and not going into a huge amount of debt.

I found that the best way of making friends in uni was to study with and give/get help from other people. Group projects, seminars and labs are all opportunities to start talking with other people and building good friendships. Ask questions from students in the same classes, get them to help you over a cup of coffee or hold a group discussion in the library.

Although you're not a fresher, this answer might also be of some help.
  • Options
    Im no the most socially gifted person but i have trouble approaching people cold and asking a question of them. Also Ive tended to find more recently that i have difficulty making myself understood when i talk, i dont know if its to do with my dyspraxia or not, but from what people say its like i slightly slur my words. So people are like:eek2: and im:banghead:
  • Options
    Firefly, are you studying at lufs? What are you taking?
  • Options
    I am indeed studying at Loughborough Uni, Mechanical Engineering.
  • Options
    what year?
  • Options
    As I said abpve im retaking my second year so i dont know if you would class that as a third year or just another second year.
  • Options
    I used to be intimidated by social crowds too. Best thing to do is just find a mate to go to the pub and have a chat with. Easier said than done I know.... but I came on here as I felt like I didn't have many friends at the time and so know where you're coming from, and just saying what helped me. At the end of the day you need self confidence, but you only tend to get that from other people praising you / not dismissing you, and that only tends to happen when you put yourself out there.

Hope it all goes well, if you're ever lost for a drinking buddy I'm just round the corner :thumb:. Hey, we could have a Leicester meet :p how fun! (I hate Leicester, mind)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Firefly, are you studying at lufs? What are you taking?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    what year?

do you mind my asking why?
  • Options
    Move to halls ASAP.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Move to halls ASAP.
    TBH I dont know if that would be a good idea. I am exceptionally easily distracted and I dont want to run the risk of failing because even if I fail one module thats it, Im gone, and I dont know what else i'd do.
  • Options
    Firefly-86 wrote:
    do you mind my asking why?
    I'm studying mech eng at lufs myself, that's why.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm studying mech eng at lufs myself, that's why.
    Really? Your probabley a year or two ahead of me though. Anyway thats quite a coincidence.
  • Options
    Yeah it is.

For the record, I don't drink, and only go to the union on special occasions because I'm not a fan to crowded rooms. Just so you know you're not the only one

If you want some lufs help, just send me a PM anytime.