Home› Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

where did you meet your friends?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I realised I don't have any friends from school. My best friend was at college with me, we were in the same English class. My other best friend was at a youth theatre with me.

Do you have friends who you've known your whole life?

Do you think it's harder to make new friends as you get older? I've known my 2 best friends for nearly 10 years and although I've met other people since then they always seem to be acquaintences/people I occasionally go for a drink with rather than proper friends.

Comments

• Options
    I've been friends with my best friend since year 7, which was 9 years ago. I don't have any other friends from school, because I didn't like most of them and the others are all chavs.

I see some of them when I'm at work, though I wouldn't class them as friends, rather as people-who-I-know.

I've got friends at uni, but I haven't really known them very long as I've only been there a year.

Other friends I've made are from work, but they are all far older than me, and from the canoe club. Again, they aren't my age but they're still my friends.

My newest friends are from here (you know who you are :yes:).

I think in some circumstances it's harder to make friends as you get older, as people have to spend so much time working. If you don't like the people you work with then there isn't much scope for being sociable with them and you don't have much time out of work to make friends either.
  • Options
    I think that the period towards the end of school up to your first job is always going to get you the most friends, because you're constantly changing you social circles. The people who I'd consider my very best friends are from secondary school (1), uni (2) and my current job (1). I've been at my current job for nearly a year now, and that's the sort of stage where it becomes hard to make new friends. The chances of you making a really good friend at the start are quite high because there's loads of new people to meet. Now I'm here though, you're looking at meeting a new person every month or so when some new is hired, so the chances of one becoming your best friend are quite slim. That's why I really want to get into TV and film work because you work on projects for a few months at a time, then move on, so you're meeting new people all the time and don't get stuck in a rut.
  • Options
    My oldest friends I met at high school, I dont see them that often but we're still in touch. My best friend I met through work 5 years ago, I've got 2 other close friends that I met last year through a Livejournal community.

Im notoriously crap at making friends cos I can be terribly shy at times.
  • Options
    My bestest mates are from school, another one is from here and the rest from various places i've worked at over the years.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Most of my mates are local so I've know them through school, college and generally dossing around together.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I have 5 or 6 life time friends. They all live in the park so we're pretty close. I have another 10-15 friends who live in the same place I do but we're not close.

Have a few friends from school, the rest is from drugs, clubs, gigs, shit like that.
  • Options
    My close knit group of 6 friends are from school who i've known pretty much all my life. Then there are other friends from school, work etc.
  • Options
    Most of my friends I've met through school. Some of them have been through friends of friends or friends partners, etc.
  • Options
    I've pals from my wee fishing village back home that I've known since I was a bairn. I always keep meaning to go back and catch up with everybody, but I'm always so busy nowadays and it's so far away I'm only ever really back at Xmas and stuff.

Got pals from when I stayed in Dundee, mostly through work and uni, and I'm settled with pals down here now.

That's the good thing about moving about a bit, you meet so many cool people and stuff, and if you're ever a bit stuck in a rut, you've always someplace else to go for a weekend or whatever.

Anyway, the best strategy is speaking to people (work is usually the best bet), and put yourself out there, go to parties etc.
  • Options
    I've made friends in such a variety of different places and environments that it's a bit mad to think about it sometimes. When I invited them all to my 21st I was a bit worried there'd be some personality clashes but everyone got on like a house on fire, 'twas lovely :)

I think I've always been pretty good at making friends and influencing people ;) and I actually find it's gotten easier and easier as I get older. I guess some people do have pre-formed friendship groups they're not interested in expanding, but I've only very rarely met anyone like that. Any person I meet is a potential new friend, I'll have a bit of craic with anyone, and you can never have too many mates :thumb:
  • Options
    My oldest friend I know from living across the road from each other and the rest from the net.
  • Options
    Most of my friends are since elementary school.

Flo, Paul, Christian, Toni.

Some are from gymnasium (like high school), Lukan, Toni#2, Ali, Nadine, Nobsi, Haxi, Igor.

Some are from the pub, but mostly friends of friends etc.

Many are from my work as paramedic as a civil servant.
  • Options
    If I ever come back to Vienna can I hang out with you and your friends and eat cake? :flirt: I think I'd be compelled to like someone called Igor! :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    If I ever come back to Vienna can I hang out with you and your friends and eat cake? :flirt: I think I'd be compelled to like someone called Igor! :thumb:

If you speak german, Igor is probably the funniest person you'll ever know. I had to go to the school doctor once, because I pulled a muscle from laughing, when he mocked the teacher.

Well, if you ever come to vienna, be sure to let me know beforehand, I will make an AWESOME cake and we make a fricken barbeque on the donauinsel like we did this year (pix attached)... the we get all drunk, make rain dances, and play hide and seek! or something :yeees:

I hope you were not joking and I let myself look like a moron here :) , but well... give me a shout.
  • Options
    I'm being serious. I will give you lots of advance warning so you can make that awesome cake... I love barbeques (when I don't have to be the chef, ha) and I LOVE Vienna. I'll be back :thumb:

Oh, and I do love a good rain dance!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'm being serious. I will give you lots of advance warning so you can make that awesome cake... I love barbeques (when I don't have to be the chef, ha) and I LOVE Vienna. I'll be back :thumb:

Oh, and I do love a good rain dance!

Just called my dad, he will give me the pix of my handycrafted cake in a bit (it's on his laptop). After you saw those, you'll be here tomorrow already :yum:

heh, anyway... Looking forward to it :)
  • Options
    I have one friend who I've known since she was about about one, although she lives inIreland so I dont get to see her that much. Most of my friends from school I grew apart from and people at work are exactly that people I know from work.
  • Options
    I met most of my friends at work, or places I have worked. Either that or as friends of friends, aquantances, people I meet in the pub shit like that.
  • Options
    Some of my bestest and closest friends I've made on here, because I've been more honest about the problems I've had in life on here.

It does get harder to make friends as you get older, but I've got friends from uni and work. Many of my friends come through the wife, to be honest.
  • Options
    I've got friends from school, a really good friend I've known for years as our familys are friends from church, some of my good mates (mainly male and older than me) are through the Scout stuff I do, friends from sailing, from my uni course, uni accomodation and then uni lifesaving. I guess all over!
  • Options
    I've met most of my friends from school/uni and various work places.

I met my best friend in school. We've been best mates for years now.

I also have a few good friends I've met on here. How sad.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Just called my dad, he will give me the pix of my handycrafted cake in a bit.

Oh, and check the last pic out. It's our garden :D Next spring this will be party location number one. no.neighbours.anywhere :)