Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anyone...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a few questions about anti depressants/ssri's.

Has anyone gone from taking prozac to citalopram? if so how did you feel?

I'm aware it effects everyone differently, im just curious.

also has anyone just decided to stop taking anti depressants without consulting the doctor?

i've been switched to citalopram from prozac but stopped the prozac and not started the citalopram yet. i wanted to feel emotions again as i felt numb on prozac. i've felt happy and down, its been weird

Comments

• Options
    I was on fluoxetine (ssri) and I stopped taking it without consulting a doctor. I did taper it off though. I basically stretched 10 days worth to last a month. A week after I took my last pill I started to get these bad dizzy spells and some head aches. They lasted about two weeks. Might of been more. But they've disappeared and I don't think there hasn't been any long term side effects.

Still, you ought to speak to your doctor. I don't really know anything about switching from one to another.
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:

Still, you ought to speak to your doctor. I don't really know anything about switching from one to another.

:yes:

It's never a good idea to come off any medication without consulting your GP, but it's particularly important to comsult them when it's ADs. You'll have much more chance of doing it successfully with their help.

For more advice, you could always call one of these guys:

Mind
    www.mind.org.uk
    Tel: 0207 8020 300

Saneline
    www.sane.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 767 8000

Good luck
  • Options
    I know someone who stopped taking then withour doing it slowly and he was in abad way for a few weeks. It's REALLY not a good idea.
  • Options
    I got on 100 times better with citalopram than prozac, but only cause I found the side effects lots more bearable. I've never been on an SSRI that lets you feel, one way or the other. I guess it's about weighing up whether 'numb' is better than how you feel without them.

I've come off a few without checking with my doc (not advisable) and you can get some monster withdrawal symptoms. It's always better to keep them in the loop. ADs don't work for everyone, and if you feel like they aren't helping, you should go back and ask to try something else.
  • Options
    I stopped sertraline(an ssri) after over a year on it without tapering off or consulting a doc. Its the worst thing u can do but im lucky that i dont suffer from side effects. I did the same with escitalopram(another ssri) and had no side effects.

I was sick of feeling numbed and fed up, and it was nice to be able to feel emotions for the few months break i had, but then i just started feeling too miserable, was offered citalopram but to be honest, i think feeling numb is common with any of them so i went back on sertraline.