Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moving Tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm moving house in two weeks time and really need some tips on how to start packing and organising things. I have so much junk and mess that just looking at it fills me with dread! I've tried in vain to get hold of cardboard boxes so should I just pack it all in to suitcases instead?

Any packing and moving advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, and hi everyone... long time no see! :wave:

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Be ruthless with all your stuff and you'll find that a lot of it probably needs chucking away.

NOOOO!!! :nervous:

You're right though, there is a lot of junk I could throw away.

I've got to get it all done this weekend because I go on holiday next Sunday and move the day after I return. Ah, my timing is SOOOO good! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Just saying hi, how've you been? :wave:
    I have no moving tips, sorry.
  • Options
    Just saying hi, how've you been? :wave:
    I have no moving tips, sorry.

I've been good, thanks. Zalbor, right?
  • Options
    Get a van. Chuck the mattress in first and the tv stand, tv, hi fi etc etc next to it. Then chuck everything else on top, don't worry about boxing it up.
    Then get one of your mates to stay in the back of the van for the journey.
    Don't throw anything away, you never know when you are gonna need it.

Seriously, box things up, even if they are not fragil;e, tape them up and WRITE ON THE BOX WHAT YOU PUT IN IT.
    Also, save all your cd's on your harddrive and sell the cd's on ebay. :thumb:
  • Options
    finding somewhere to live is always a good step, i'm supposed to be moving across london to start my new job in a couple weeks but i've still not found a place :nervous: .......if you're not used to moving i suppose it can be a bit stressful, this will be my 6th move in 4 years so i feel like a bloody nomad, will hopefully settle in my new place for a bit longer......

i just organise all my shit into kitchen stuff, food stuff, personal hygiene stuff, pc/electrical stuff, clothes/bedding stuff, important documents and book stuff, and whatever's left over just ends up in miscellaneous boxes, it is a pain in the arse but as long as you have a car/van or a friend with one to help you move it's all good.....
  • Options
    I'll be moving down the smoke soon, don't know where yet, preferably around NW1 somewhere...
    I do this thing where everytime I move, I only take my clothes with me and anything electrical and books...i take no furniture with me. So when I move I visit IKEA and get stuff from there. Having moved 3 times in the last 4 years, they've made a few bucks of me!
  • Options
    I leave clothes and whatever else in drawers and just cover them with binbags when I move. Things like my CD tower I just wrapped with clingfilm and sellotape. Dead lazy but it worked.

When you are moving into the new place, unload it all but only take the big furniture in first, get it in place then everything can be arranged around it. This only works if you haven't got like a removal lorry full though.

Get the post office to redirect your mail for at least the first couple of months as well, it costs a bit but it's well worth it.
  • Options
    The best advice I got, was when moving your stuff, do one room at a time, then all your stuff isnt mixed up at the other end.
    Unless you are rich and have professional movers!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Then chuck everything else on top, don't worry about boxing it up.

Seriously, box things up, even if they are not fragil;e, tape them up and WRITE ON THE BOX WHAT YOU PUT IN IT.

So, do I box or not? :confused:
  • Options
    I think he was joking...

I have no further advice. Wilko's do great folding plastic boxes that you can fill with textbooks and they can take it. For the record.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I've been good, thanks. Zalbor, right?
    Oh yes, right, I forgot I changed name. :D