Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wii Release Details

So, we euros get it on December the 8th for 180 quid.

Excellent.

Story
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's a lot more expensive than the Americans isn't it?

according to xe.com...
    249.99 USD
    United States Dollars
    =
    133.285 GBP
    United Kingdom Pounds

Is it region-protected or can you just chiop the lead off? Seems unfair :(.
  • Options
    Well duh. We all knew we'd get ripped off. We even pay more for European electrical products like Philips than America do.
  • Options
    Might pick one up from eBay in January :thumb:
  • Options
    Who the fuck uses consoles to watch dvds? The Gamecube didn't play them either.....

I've pre-ordered mine.
  • Options
    Sent Nintendo an angry e-mail. Hah. If I get a response I will post it up here.

(with regards to the price)
  • Options
    If they don't respond I'll be upset. The least a company can do is acknowledge with a human. Grrr.
  • Options
    Will the other two be playing Blu-ray and HD DVD though? Is the Wii HD compatible?
  • Options
    No, the Wii is standard resolution only.

The 360 is getting an HD DVD add on drive and the PS3 is pretty much built around the blu-ray drive.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    No, the Wii is standard resolution only.
    That's a bit shit. Half my Gamecube games are 4:3 only, and now if I buy a HDTV, which I probably will for my next one, it won't run in HD? That's one of the things that's always pissed me off about Nintendo. They're constantly behind the times in terms of technology. Cartridges on the N64, no DVD drive on the Gamecube (I mean it would've been cheaper to just use a DVD drive rather than developing a whole new disc), and now no high definition support on this.
  • Options
    to be fair, I am not that fussed about HD, i hear HD is WOOOOOOOO so great, not really,

the new styles of gameplay for the Wii looks excelent although I am biased as I am a Nintendo fanboy, owning every console/handheld except the virtal boy (to big and expensive and gay for me)

I cant wait for this, will preorder mine soon
  • Options
    That's a bit shit. Half my Gamecube games are 4:3 only, and now if I buy a HDTV, which I probably will for my next one, it won't run in HD? That's one of the things that's always pissed me off about Nintendo. They're constantly behind the times in terms of technology. Cartridges on the N64, no DVD drive on the Gamecube (I mean it would've been cheaper to just use a DVD drive rather than developing a whole new disc), and now no high definition support on this.

Cartridges on the N64 were actually better than the CDs though. Starting up N64... straight into the game. Playstation.... wait a couple of minutes heh. I think Nintendo just like to do things differently. I'm not too upset about the lack of HD support, although definately in the future it will become a requirement. But Nintendo's brief was to provide a fun, affordable and alternative to the xbox / playstation domination. I think they've succeeded, because the Wii is different - in fact it's exactly what I'm looking for in a console! My PC is my home entertainment centre :)

Can't make my mind up whether to get a DS...

Still no response from Nintendo. Leave it till wednesday, then they're on the shitlist :grump:
  • Options
    the wii probably will be region locked , yes.

the wii looks the most interesting of the 3 consoles though. and i like the fact that the wii will be able to hook in with the DS :)
  • Options
    my flat mate and i are going to buy one each. does anyone know of the multiplayer capabilities on a LAN, i have a router with enough ports to handle all our wifi needs (2 PCs on ethernet, 1 xbox360 wifi, 2x Wii's wifi),
  • Options
    Cartridges on the N64 were actually better than the CDs though. Starting up N64... straight into the game. Playstation.... wait a couple of minutes heh. I think Nintendo just like to do things differently. I'm not too upset about the lack of HD support, although definately in the future it will become a requirement. But Nintendo's brief was to provide a fun, affordable and alternative to the xbox / playstation domination. I think they've succeeded, because the Wii is different - in fact it's exactly what I'm looking for in a console! My PC is my home entertainment centre :)
    They always do something though, that makes it a pain in the arse for developers to make cross-platform games on their console, and eventually, they just don't bother. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo make the best games of anyone in the world, but if they're the only ones making games for it, it'll be a bit samey after a while. But I think Nintendo are going more for the female gamers now, if you've watched their recent advertising. And they might just pull it off and become huge, like Sony did when they brought gaming mainstream (but only to men).
  • Options
    The Wii is going to be cheaper and easier to develop for than the 360 or PS3. I think it was the guy from THQ who said they were looking at the cost of developing for the Wii being at least half, at most two thirds cheaper than the other consoles. Nintendo's development kits were about £2000 as well, which is nothing compared to the sony and microsoft ones.

I think Nintendo might be onto something here, I really do.....
  • Options
    I can't wait for the Wii, I;ve never been one to buy a game purely cos it has good graphics, for me gameplay is more important.
  • Options
    i have to admit, they look the shit.

only £175, not bad
  • Options
    I may have misread the gamestation website. poopie.
  • Options
    sorry.
    ill go stand in the corner....