Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The New Labour guide to brushing your teeth

I'll start this thread with a personal reference. On Monday morning, I had a dental appointment. Because of an exodus of NHS dentists, I've had to sign onto the private sector. I was billed £40 just to have my teeth looked at, whilst a dentist prints out a plan saying I apparently need treatment that will cost over £300. I desperately tried not to blurt out "fuck off, I'm not paying that, you money grabbing bastards!" and barely managed to keep my lid. Suddenly, I realised just how important NHS dentistry is to not only me, but countless other people in this country.

Unfortunately, this New Labour government for the rich doesn't share this view. What are the odds that most New Labour ministers haven't been to an NHS dentist for years? What are the chances that half of them are signed up to BUPA? I'm sure the bookies reckon that's a safe bet. And what are the odds that the very same ministers will then tell the media there's nothing wrong with the NHS? No bookie would take a bet you had a 100% chance of winning, would they?

As we know, the NHS is short of dentists. Apparently, more are being trained up. I'll believe it when I start seeing it, and stop seeing massive queues of people wanting to register whenever an NHS dentist does miraculously appear. In the meantime, busybodies trying to justify their pathetic existences have come out with this. New Labour's Guide To Brushing Your Teeth?

It just shows off the worst excesses of the state, doesn't it? We have somebody who's employed to sit behind a desk each day, writing this kind of patronising nonsense. I wouldn't put it past the government, especially not this one.

Useful advice or just more pointless drivel? Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'll start this thread with a personal reference. On Monday morning, I had a dental appointment. Because of an exodus of NHS dentists, I've had to sign onto the private sector. I was billed £40 just to have my teeth looked at, whilst a dentist prints out a plan saying I apparently need treatment that will cost over £300.
    Will that not be the private cost? If it's essential surgery, then the NHS should do it for free should they not? I've only ever used an NHS dentist once when my dentist was away (£20 a month and the one time I need him, he's on holiday) and I walked in, got checked out and got a prescription without paying a penny. Though I was referred to by my dentist, so maybe they paid for it?
  • Options
    Actually there is a proper way to clean your teeth.

Must be a problem across the sea, there's none here. I live in a village of say 1,000 people and we have a modern dentist centre in our main street, no problem getting an appoitment there.
  • Options
    As for the program, typical Daily Mail hyperbole claiming that the government is "interfering with family life." Maybe putting poster up about how to do CPR is interfering with family life too. It's a waste of money in my opinion, but it's in know way interfering with anyone's life.
  • Options
    In many cases it's the waiting that causes the problem. Ms. Aladdin needed 2 wisdom teeth taken out. They told us she'd have to wait around 3 months for an NHS procedure. Privately it would cost her around £400.

She was in a bit of pain but she braved the 3 month wait because 400 quid is a lot of fucking money. But imagine those who are in considerable pain and can't afford to go private.

People will be reverting to the old 'tooth attached to door with string' method before long...
  • Options
    Is this one of the situations where the NHS paying for private treatment could work? Let's face it, as long as the majority of dentists (?) are private, they're not going to take a pay cut to go NHS, are they? Or is that what happens anyway?
  • Options
    The majority of dentists are now private because of the stupid way in which the NHS now pay them. From what I understand they get paid the same amount for doing one filling as for three fillings. This is just an example if the NHS think the dentists are going to take that kind of rubbish then they are saddly mistaken
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Must be a problem across the sea, there's none here. I live in a village of say 1,000 people and we have a modern dentist centre in our main street, no problem getting an appoitment there.
    It depends entirely on where in the country you are. I know that my area (well, for one more day anyway) is desperately short. If I can register with an NHS dentist in Bristol, that could save me a few bob.