Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Colds & breathing whilst sleeping

Right now I have a bit of a cold, which is slowly getting worse as the evening goes on. One of my problems is being able to breathe. At night, is there any way of me to breathe without waking up with a blovked nose? A few times I've tried breathing through my mouth but when I wake up, my nose becomes blocked and it becomes harder to breathe.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried vics vapour rub?
  • Options
    Steaming your head before going to bed should help a bit.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Have you tried vics vapour rub?

Don't think we have that, tbh. We might have some olbas stuff though.
  • Options
    when i had flu in january my nose was so blocked it was terrible. I could hardly breathe. So i got viks vapour rub, put some on a tissue and sandwiched it between quite a few tissues so it wouldn't seep through and put it under my pillow, with a towel over my pillow. I slept through and woke up with a clear nose.
    Olbas will do it aswell.
    It blocked up again within an hour though.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Don't think we have that, tbh. We might have some olbas stuff though.
    The vics will help alot. As for during the day, caffeine is a good decongestant.

I think a blocked nose at night is one of the worst feelings you can get.
  • Options
    Taking a 12 hour decongestin right before bed always helps me. Or you can go to your doctors and get a nasal spray such as nasanex or nasacort or whatever you may have there.
  • Options
    We don't have olbas either:( Just had some cold & flu drink which has helped a bit though.
  • Options
    If you can get your hands on a zinc nasal spray, they also work great. I think vics has one that combines both.
  • Options
    I always use the nasal spray I have for my hayfever when my nose is blocked when I have a cold!
  • Options
    Have a nasal congestant just before you go to bed (Sudafed is good0 and take one once you get up, takes about 30 mins to work but does help. Olbas oil/vics etc can also give tempory relief.