Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

whose actually winning in this supposed war

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well it aint us, the civilians of the UK, or the USA, or in the middle east

it is just:
private 'security' contractors making huge profits
the armed forces getting recruits and gettign them killed (if that counts as good for them)
terroist organisations getting more recruits
the politicians on all sides getting more executive powers
the 'intelligence' agencies getting more snooping powers and less checks

who else....

eta: not forgetting bad english winning with the term 'war on terror'

Comments

• Options
    Ah, the joys of 24-hr media and the "now" mentality.
  • Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060910/bs_afp/afghanistaneconomy

(Scotch and diet coke) trebles all around! :)
  • Options
    Remember 1984...

As explained in Goldstein's book, the Ministry of Peace revolves around the principle of perpetual war. If the citizens of Oceania have a well-defined enemy, Eastasia or Eurasia, then they know who they hate, and constant homeland propaganda helps to convince them to vent all their unconscious rage for their own country against the opposing one. Since that means the balance of the country rests in the war, the Ministry of Peace is in charge of fighting the war (mostly centered around Africa and India in the book), but making sure to never tip the scales, in case the war should become one-sided. Oceanic telescreens usually broadcast news reports about how Oceania is continuously winning every battle it fights, though these reports have little to no credibility.

As relevant today as at any time in the past.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the maniacal rantings of Fox and Friends on the Fox news channel?

Basically, 150 Taliban soldiers and leaders met for a funeral and they were not bombed to death by the US forces...the reason was that the coalition forces obey the rules of engagement. The "News" oresenters on Fox in total outrage went on a 20 minute rant about how they deserve to die, they dont belong in Afghanistan and they are trying to kill "our boys who are protecting the people from them" and for that reason there is no excuse at all for why every single last one of the Taliban members at this funeral, werent bombed, had a cruise missile shot at them, or rounded up and lined up and shot in the back...almost word for word account of what the "Journalists" on Fox news said.

They are also outraged that the investigation into the leaking of the spy plane picture of the Taliban only focuses on the leaking of the picture from the Pentagon and not, according to them where it should be aimed, at why every last "Evil murdering Taliban member" was killed that day.

Now...im no fan of the Taliban, but still...Fox news are employing sociopaths right now!
  • Options
    There was actually a neocon columnist for a rightwing website (not Fox though) who actually defended the soldiers who raped that Iraqi girl in turns and then murdered her entire family, saying it was 'understandable'.
  • Options
    Who's actually winning this supposed war?

I am.

Fact.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I am.

Fact.
    Got a lot of shares in arms companies have you? :p
  • Options
    Got a lot of shares in arms companies have you? :p

She's the one who produces the arms.
  • Options
    Actually, I invented all weapons, so every time one is used, I get paid a small royalty. These things mount up, I actually have 99% of the worlds wealth
  • Options
    Can you lend us a fiver?
  • Options
    No, because I'm a tight bastard. :p