Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mental health.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I'm REALLY struggling at the moment, and someone suggested I saw the doctors again. I've been through counselling once, and it went ok. But now because of certain circumstances I don't want to be here, and I don't see any point in me being here.

With that in mind- is it best I see a counsellor? Or who would be best?

I'm dreading going back to the dr's for the second time that I'm not coping.

Comments

• Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Basically I'm REALLY struggling at the moment, and someone suggested I saw the doctors again. I've been through counselling once, and it went ok. But now because of certain circumstances I don't want to be here, and I don't see any point in me being here.

With that in mind- is it best I see a counsellor? Or who would be best?

by the sounds of it you should....and it's nothing to be ashamed of. A trip to the doctors once is hardly enough to sort out ongoing problems. Did they just stick you on councelling last time?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    by the sounds of it you should....and it's nothing to be ashamed of. A trip to the doctors once is hardly enough to sort out ongoing problems. Did they just stick you on councelling last time?
    Yeah, they just shoved me on counselling last time. I'm just worried because of being back at college, it's going to start to get nice and stressful again soon. I'm terrified that me getting help will jepodise (sp?) me getting on the teaching course at Uni though.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Yeah, they just shoved me on counselling last time. I'm just worried because of being back at college, it's going to start to get nice and stressful again soon. I'm terrified that me getting help will jepodise (sp?) me getting on the teaching course at Uni though.
    I don't know what the procedure is but i doubt they'll even know about you getting help. Unless you're a danger its none of their business.
    Go back and tell them councelling didn't help and ask for something else. I was seeing councellors for depression and anxiety while i worked with children. I wasn't even asked about it.
  • Options
    Unless you get sectioned then there's no way it can affect your chances for uni because no one will know about it, it's confidential. In fact, I can only think that you would help your uni chances by getting the help you need to make you a happier person who is more likely to succeed and impress at interview.

Go for it, get some help and don't feel like a failure. You're a better use of the doctors time than I am, I've seen them twice this week because I'm being paranoid about my stitches and can't keep them clean!
  • Options
    Ok, thankyou to you both. Just got to pluck up the courage to go to the dr's now.
  • Options
    Allo sunshine. Sorry to hear you're going through a bad time, but i hope the advice i give you will be of some help.
    your-babe wrote:
    I've been through counselling once, and it went ok.

Was it a course of counselling, i.e. several sessions or was it just a one off hour or so with a counsellor. If the latter then that's really not enough. If it worked for you last time then why not give it a go again. It doesn't work for everyone, me included, but if it's worked for you before then i'd give it a go again.
    your-babe wrote:
    But now because of certain circumstances I don't want to be here, and I don't see any point in me being here.

Can you talk about these circumstances here ? Don't worry if you don't want to speak about it on a public forum, we all understand that. Being here anymore ? Do you mean you want to kill yourself ? If this is the case then i think you should seek some professional help as soon as you can.
    your-babe wrote:

Docotrs, as in GPs are getting a lot better with dealing with mental health than they used to be. I'm sure your GP wouldn't think you're wasting his/her time, and it is the first step in the right direction to getting the treatment that's suitable to you. I'd imagine your GP would have to refer you to a counselling service.

I hope things start to go a bit better for you. Drop by and let us know how things are going for you :)

K XxX
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Allo sunshine. Sorry to hear you're going through a bad time, but i hope the advice i give you will be of some help.

Was it a course of counselling, i.e. several sessions or was it just a one off hour or so with a counsellor. If the latter then that's really not enough. If it worked for you last time then why not give it a go again. It doesn't work for everyone, me included, but if it's worked for you before then i'd give it a go again.

Can you talk about these circumstances here ? Don't worry if you don't want to speak about it on a public forum, we all understand that. Being here anymore ? Do you mean you want to kill yourself ? If this is the case then i think you should seek some professional help as soon as you can.

Docotrs, as in GPs are getting a lot better with dealing with mental health than they used to be. I'm sure your GP wouldn't think you're wasting his/her time, and it is the first step in the right direction to getting the treatment that's suitable to you. I'd imagine your GP would have to refer you to a counselling service.

I hope things start to go a bit better for you. Drop by and let us know how things are going for you :)

K XxX
    It was a course of counselling, about 8 sessions I think, only we looked at my OCD more than anything.

The circumstances are that I've just lost someone very close to me. I don't really want to go into any more details about it tbh. I guess by saying I don't wnat to be here, that yes I do mean ending it all/ not being around anymore. I don't think I'd have the guts to do it, but I honestly don't see the point in me being around anymore now I don't have that person in my life.

Thankyou.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    It was a course of counselling, about 8 sessions I think, only we looked at my OCD more than anything.

The circumstances are that I've just lost someone very close to me. I don't really want to go into any more details about it tbh. I guess by saying I don't wnat to be here, that yes I do mean ending it all/ not being around anymore. I don't think I'd have the guts to do it, but I honestly don't see the point in me being around anymore now I don't have that person in my life.

Thankyou.
    i don't mean to be nebby but what do you mean by 'lost'?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i don't mean to be nebby but what do you mean by 'lost'?
    As in relationships. I know it probably sounds stupid and melodramatic.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    The circumstances are that I've just lost someone very close to me. I don't really want to go into any more details about it tbh.

That's ok that you don't want to reveal any more than you want to. Grief is a very strange, and very personal thing and can manifest itself in an infinite number of ways. We're all different of course and the way we think and process our thoughts is different. When my mum died, my world litterally fell apart. When my dad died, i didn't really care tbh. See, horses for courses.

How about getting some grief counselling ? It can be one of the hardest times in your life when someone close to you has died, i'm sure a lot of the peeps on here can appreciate this with their own loses. I won't come out with some spiel that 'life goes on' etc, because i expect you're feeling very lonely, hurt and maybe even angry that your friend is now gone and not a part of your life anymore. I don't pretend to know your friend, but surely they wouldn't want you to be feeling like this. You had a good friend and you had some great times with them i'm sure. Hold on to those good times. The times you made each other laugh, made each other feel special, just made each other happy by being there for each other. They're very special memories and no one can ever take them away from you.

I think the best thing you can do, is make an appointment with your GP and get yourself pointed in the right direction. I don't know for sure, but maybe there's something on grief counslling here on TheSite, i'm sure a Mod or one of the more clever useres can post a link up for you.

K XxX
  • Options
    Hi there

You’re obviously going through heaps at the moment, so it's great that you are seeking support. Ballerina, RubberSkin and Scary Monster are right, talking to a professional counsellor about how you’re feeling could help you with what you’re experiencing at the moment. And asking for more counselling won’t jeopardise your chances at University.

From what you’ve just said, I’m not totally sure whether you are grieving the death of a loved one, or the death of a relationship.

If someone close to you has died, you could find the Dealing with death article helpful to read through. It includes a link to Cruse Bereavement Care, who have a helpline service that’s specifically aimed at young people.

If you were referring to the end of a relationship, please know it’s certainly not stupid or melodramatic to be struggling afterwards. There’s advice on mending a broken heart and getting over a relationship on this website.

If you need to see a doctor again, it is not necessarily an indication that you are not coping; if anything it is a positive sign that you are seeking help to get yourself in the place you want to be. It may take some courage to make the appointment, but you may find that it really helps.

Take care.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hello there

I'm so sorry to hear your story. I'm sure things must be very difficult. TheSite does have some information about counselling as well as dealing with death.

You mentioned you were plucking up courage to see your doctor. You could also use our Local Advice Finder to see if there are other counselling options. Also, if you prefer to write about your issues to a relationships advisor in privacy, you could use our askTheSite service.

All the best with being back in college, and getting onto a teachers course at a university. Counselling, by the way, shouldn't affect your applications for courses - in fact, it's a very positive step!
  • Options
    You did well on the mods there! Feel special and important!h
  • Options
    Thankyou to both mods and everyone who replied. I meant breaking up with my partner- only I was scared to put that in so many words yesturday. Thankyou for that you've said, I'll prob see a Dr. as things can literally only get better.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Thankyou to both mods and everyone who replied. I meant breaking up with my partner- only I was scared to put that in so many words yesturday. Thankyou for that you've said, I'll prob see a Dr. as things can literally only get better.
    you seem to be forever breaking up/getting back together with him (not to sound nasty). It won't do you any favours. Tbh the best thing for when you feel like this is to have time for yourself, to get help, start getting things straight in your head and do things for yourself.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    you seem to be forever breaking up/getting back together with him (not to sound nasty). It won't do you any favours. Tbh the best thing for when you feel like this is to have time for yourself, to get help, start getting things straight in your head and do things for yourself.

That was precisely why I was scared of fucking saying that we had broken up. I know how many times we have broken up before.
  • Options
    As I said on mSN. Throw yourslef into college/friends and use support either from your online forum or maybe from another set of counsilling.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    That was precisely why I was scared of fucking saying that we had broken up. I know how many times we have broken up before.
    no need to bite my head off. All i'm saying its obviously not doing you any good so maybe it would be a good idea to have time for yourself.