Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Marrakesh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I see Ryanair are now flying there from my local airport

Anyone ever been?

Looks quite exotic from what I can tell.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    yer i was there a couple months back, it was awesome. and cheap. go see for yourself.

EDIT: sorry Senor - image way too big - feel free to insert a smaller one.
  • Options
    I went in april and it was lovely

If you go you should stay in a Riad rather than a hotel as they are lovely traditional houses.

xx
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I see Ryanair are now flying there from my local airport

Anyone ever been?

Looks quite exotic from what I can tell.

There's a film called Hideous Kinky which is set there - looks like a lush place.
    It's also a great place to go when everywhere else starts to cool down for the autumn/winter months.
  • Options
    What's good to do there?

What food do you recommend?

What's good to buy from there to take home?
  • Options
    well all sorts really, we spent a lot of time in the market square and down random alleys just checking out the wares and haggling with the locals, you get dragged all over the place if they clock you're a tourist but that's half the adventure.......came back with way too much crap as a result, after the first couple of days you work out how much you should be paying for stuff (that is if you have any money left), and my french had come back to me so i got some pretty good deals, few nice shirts, some paintings and a drum, and lots of other random tit-tat, but there's something for everyone........

spent a lot of time eating as well and checking out the rooftop views from the cafes (you have to take lots of little breaks cos of the heat), there's lots of good grub if you wander round the main square towards the evening that's when it gets busy, nice kebabs and the meat in general tastes much better than over here, would also recommend the hariri soup which is completely different from stall to stall.....

squarefood.jpg

um, what else......we got a tour guide to drive us a few hours out of town and did some trekking in the mountains that was good fun, ended up naked under a waterfall (lol don't ask).......also went quadbiking in the desert which was awesome, i wanted to rent out mopeds to get around but everyone else was too scared cos the traffic is mental out there, we saw a couple on a moped get hit which put us off the idea a bit......taxis are fairly cheap anyways.......

best advice if you're going is a) brush up your french cos noone speaks a word of english, b) never pay what anyone asks, the real price is usually around 25% of the asking price, they see the tourists coming a mile off and you can expect to get fleeced.......obviously don't try haggling at restaurants and cafes etc where the prices are listed.......

biglamp.jpg

and c) you can never drink too much orange juice. i tried.

ETA: d) oh and get travel insurance just in case, i nearly needed it several times and would have been screwed cos i didnt even think about it.....
  • Options
    Sounds like you were there for a while - I was kinda thinking of a 3 day trip Friday to Sunday sort of thing flying out form Luton, and probabaly all the time my friends can get off themselves.

It looks like it would be a good place to pig out, food looks nice.

What's the nightlife like there?

What are prices like for food and drink when converted to pounds?

Our last time to Sweden we found drinks way more expensive then UK.
  • Options
    only 6 days actually but just made the most of it, helps if you go with the right people.......the nightlife's not amazing tbh, or at least not my experience of it, the square gets quiet after about 1 and there are a few clubs dotted around but some were damn expensive (esp the ones geared for westerners), and i wanted to save my money for the daytrips, so we ended up in shisha bars or back at the hotel playing pool most nights, twas a very civilised affair.......quite hard to find beer out there as well although we still managed to get ratarsed on the first day, very few offies around and they're all well hidden, its frowned upon being a muslim country and actually illegal to drink in public or take your beer outside the bar.......not worth trying it with the cops either they're worse than over here, wouldn't even let us play footie on the beach ffs, lamers.

oh and it's about 15 dirham to the pound, cheaper to eat in the square from stalls but restaurants cost more, 8-15 dirham for soup and maybe 20-25dirham for a decent portion of whatever in the square or 30-40 in restaurants, most drinks cost 15-20 dirham a pop.......suffice to say we ate like kings.