Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hepatitis C immunisation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*** ETA: OK... so I've found a page which claims there is no immunisation... is my lecturer mental or am I just reading a stupid page?! ***

(Sorry if I can't spell it, I've tried about 8 different spellings!)

Has anyone had this?

We've been recommended at college that if we want to continue using some of ht treatments we use as work then it might be worthwhile, just in case. It really is a precaution rather than essential, but you hear so many horror stories about random things in any job where you could have taken a precaution, that I wouldn't mind having it done. So me and a few of my friends were considering getting it while we're still at college, to save any faff at a work place later *days off, any side effects affecting work etc etc*

Thing is, if it's going to be a ridiculous faff now for no apparent reason, I think we may leave it until we're at more of a risk. I'm aware it'll probably be at personal cost as it isn't required by law, and would obviously see if I could afford it first, but I'm mainly wondering, how long is it effective for? And how many injections do you have to have (I know with Hep. B my mum had to have a couple as apposed to just one.)

Also, is it just at your GP surgery if you arrange for it, or would I have to argue with the hospital? I mean, my local hospital is closer than my GP, and probably more equipped, but in all honest terms, they're not overly helpful sometimes!

Any help or experience/knowledge would be great, I'm off to trawl google, but don't really know what I'm looking for! :)

ETA: OK... so I've found a page which claims there is no immunisation... is my lecturer mental or am I just reading a stupid page?!

Comments

• Options
    Well as you said there isn't an immunisation for Hep C. The Hep B you can get off your doc, i did. Not sure if it's free though. I didn't pay, as i'm in an 'at risk' group.
  • Options
    Useless college lecturers. I'll find out Friday if she meant Hep B :rolleyes: Can't be bothered to find out now :D Cheers.
  • Options
    Yeah, it'll be Hep B.

I had it when I started my nursing course over a 21 day period, though that's not standard. The vaccine is given in 3 doses, and generally over 6 month period staggered at 1, 3 and 6 month intervals. It's also sometimes administered at 1, 2 and 3 months, and then the way I had it was the first one, then the second a week later and the third a fortnight after that. I also had a booster one year after. It all depends how quickly you need to be immunised against it.

Just speak to your lecturer about it, clarify what immunisation she actually meant... and if it is Hep B and you do want to go ahead then speak to your GP about it. You will be able to have it done at your GP surgery with prior arrangement, or I think it can also actually be done at a GUM clinic. Since you're not in a high risk group and even a lot of people having it done for occupational health reasons don't get it for free, I'm not entirely sure if you'd have to pay. Even so, it might be worth it for peace of mind :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Even so, it might be worth it for peace of mind :)

This is what me and my mates were thinking. We're definetely not in a high risk group (tbh we're only a risk if we're totally useless while we're doing the treatments), but we are workiong with blood and needles, and even though it's a slight risk, according to the internet/our books it's not unheard of.

I'll grill her on Friday methinks. I don't mind paying. Cheers for the detail as well there briggi :thumb:
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I'll grill her on Friday methinks.

Ah so not going for the traditional 'fish on Friday' then :D
  • Options
    Lmao, no. There's plenty of animals I'd compare this particular lecturer to, but maybe not a fish.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Ah so not going for the traditional 'fish on Friday' then :D

lol

Briggi - is this injection as scary as you're making out to be? I'm thinking of going into nursing and will need this in a few years' time or something.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    lol

Briggi - is this injection as scary as you're making out to be? I'm thinking of going into nursing and will need this in a few years' time or something.

Does it sound that scary really? I mean, I'm scared of needles *I fainted at college today because one was in my arm - luckily my partner did the same when the role was reversed* but it doesn't even sound that terrifying to me! I must be improving!
  • Options
    Nicx - it's alot to do with having to have the injections often for that period.
  • Options
    Ohhhh. Well maybe that was less daunting for me because I was expecting that answer, then :)
  • Options
    Eh? It's not scary at all, unless you find injections scary in general (?). The end justifies the means, anyway, which is the way you have to look at these things.

I was just trying to give her all the information I know myself, which is probably why it seemed like a barrage of bollocks :razz:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Nicx - it's alot to do with having to have the injections often for that period.

If you decide to do nursing you can go and get it done before you start the course and then have them spread over the longer time period, that sound less scary?
  • Options
    If you decide to do nursing you can go and get it done before you start the course and then have them spread over the longer time period, that sound less scary?

Yes it does. Thanks.
  • Options
    I had mine done, to cover me for all my bad habits. They're no worse than anything else.
  • Options
    3 injections = a lot less scary than having hepatitis.

:thumb:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    3 injections = a lot less scary than having hepatitis.

:thumb:

Exactly what me and my (needle phobic) mates decided when we were being told the horror stories. Chances are we'll never come into contact with it....

.... but who wants to leave something like that down to chance? :chin: