Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How far do you take your ecofriendly beliefs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Came across this article about wedding rings

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2005/02-01/gold-jewelry-gold-mining-article.htm

it basicaly says that to extract enough gold to make 1 wedding you'd produce about 20 tonnes of waste - so 2 rings needed for a wedding = 40 tonnes

Figures like that would really make me think twice if I wanted to wear 20 tonnes of guilt on my finger for the rest of my married life..

But since I don't think I'm gonna get married anytime soon I've still got time to think about stuff like this..

In the mean time I drive a little car that does a lot of MPG's and try and take the bus or trian whenever possible, but I certainly wouldn't go as far as getting a scooter for example, I still think personal safety comes first.

So how about yourselves? How far do you take your ecofriendly beliefs ?

Comments

• Options
    Not very far. If it meant wasting 20 tonnes of waste for the women I love, then so be it. But 20 tonnes seems abit extreme. I'm sure people will disagree with me on this one.
  • Options
    I'd use hula hoops or something equally tasty instead :yum:
  • Options
  • Options
    Fuck it tbh. If everyone else is going to have a gold ring then so am I. Surely they'll make them anyway, and i'm not going to feel the tiniest bit guilty either.
  • Options
  • Options
    Only if you've got small hands :p

How about onion rings? They are more accommodating for those with larger fingers :p
  • Options
    I bet you'd rob it off someone, too!
    I'd prise it off their cold dead hands if needs be ;)
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I'd prise it off their cold dead hands if needs be ;)
    You see, my way is FAR better: a bag of hula hoops is only what, 34p? Readily available in your local Co-op ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    Yep, sounds good to me.

And I'd like to wear casual clothes, too (saves on fabric, or something).
    Just casual or smart/casual?
  • Options
  • Options
    Just casual then :p

You can wear that if I can come straight from work in my uniform :D
  • Options
  • Options
    :thumb: Deal.
  • Options
    How about onion rings? They are more accommodating for those with larger fingers :p

and you don't have to pawn the ring if you are out of money and face starvation.

Just don't be picky if this point of time occurs 5 years after the marriage.

I don't take it very far with my ecofriendly beliefs, because I don't produce much waste anyhoo. I don't bathe (waste of water), I don't own a car and won't for a very long time (out of decision), etc., but I like to berate those eco-bitches with their 20 year old car that bitch me out for polluting the environment after letting one rip.
  • Options
    Could be a bit stale.

There is such scope for this - bagels, ring doughnuts etc. :yippe:
  • Options
    How much waste is created for a big fuck all diamond, cuz thats what I want :p
  • Options
    Personally I don't like gold anyway ( I like white-gold but isn't that a completely different thing??) and it'll be a long time before i tie the knot so hopefully the UN will have discovered a way of extracting gold without forming 20 tonnes of waste- though the way this world is going down the drain then probably not.
    I don't take my 'ecofriendly beliefs' very far at all- I think Im a member of the 'ignorant' population and I see myself as being in denial. The way places like America are chugging out pollution and crap into the atmosphere; I see it as if i drop one piece of litter or take the car not walk it's hardly going to change anything- we need the big daddies to take control of the whole countries and start making some serious changes
    and BEFORE i get a slating from everyone I KNOW my opinion in small minded and that 'we can all make a difference' and that if everyone thought the way i did then we'd all be wallowing in our own eco-disaster, but that's just the way I am.

oh, we do have a recycling bin at home:)
  • Options

Actually you could go for a nice wooden ring

Thm136_Mohagony_Wood_RingSML.jpg

http://www.touchwoodrings.com/gallery.html
  • Options
    Actually you could go for a nice wooden ring

Thm136_Mohagony_Wood_RingSML.jpg

http://www.touchwoodrings.com/gallery.html
    They probably managed to find a way of cutting down half the Amazon to make that.
  • Options
    thats chopping down trees, trees which lock carbon dioxide in and give out oxygen which are vital things for this ozone layer to get back on its legs. And the deforestation also destroys hundreds of habitats for many eco systems.
    See diamond you just cant win with this save the globe thing:p
  • Options
    thats chopping down trees, trees which lock carbon dioxide in and give out oxygen which are vital things for this ozone layer to get back on its legs. And the deforestation also destroys hundreds of habitats for many eco systems.
    See diamond you just cant win with this save the globe thing:p

Yeah you chop down a tree and then plant a new one in it's place and from what I remember a growing tree absorbs more carbon dioxide them a fully grown one does

Whatever the damage it's nothing compared to mining

One site uses wood form trees that fell in storms or in one case was cut by a tree surgeon and he kept the wood for 5 years until he met the woman he wanted to marry and had a ring made out of that.

Another couple on here had rings made from their muscial instruments

http://warmthofwood.blogspot.com/

Some of these rings look stunning.
  • Options
    To be honest, using natural resources for anything that you don't need isn't eco-friendly anyway.
  • Options
    mm they do look quite classy i suppose but what does it say about your marriage?? i mean i realise its shallow but it goes with the anniversaries its paper for one year wood for ten... gold is fifty..
  • Options
    mm they do look quite classy i suppose but what does it say about your marriage?? i mean i realise its shallow but it goes with the anniversaries its paper for one year wood for ten... gold is fifty..

LOL .. you can get them some gold teeth cos after 50 years of marriage they might need them.
  • Options
    With every prospective husband I've had (oooh, count 'em) there has been a family heirloom, anyway, so I guess that alleviates me of a lot of the guilt I may have been feeling otherwise - really. I quite like the idea of a wooden ring, too, but I'd honestly be happy without a ring. That's assuming I ever hitch my wagon (unlikely).

Generally, I think I take my ecofriendly beliefs quite far; my conscience is pretty bloody vocal.
  • Options
    It's a moot point.

20 tonnes of waste have already been wasted, if you don't buy it because of your eco-friendly beliefs then the next sod in line will cos he wants to impress his wife-to-be so I say buy them anyway.
  • Options
    I've not really much to say about the article, so I'll go straight on to the next question.
    So how about yourselves? How far do you take your ecofriendly beliefs?
    Erm.... I think the best answer in my case is to say, not as far as I could do. I'm concerned about our environment. I put my newspapers and magazines out to the recycling point, I try not to waste perfectly good water, I try not to leave the lights on. Unfortunately, there are moments when I'm downright lazy, and don't do these things. I let myself down, I let the environment down. I do my bit, but I could and should do more.