Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Improving your hunger

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Growing up i was never one to sit and eat meal's at proper time's. Breakfast at AM, Lunch early PM, Dinner in the evening and perhaps a supper. This could possibly be a reason as to the, kind of, problem i have now.

The problem is quite straight forward, i dont eat enough. I don't eat often enough.

So the idea to improve it, is essentially very easy, however i just cannot to it. So i wanted advice on how you get you're hunger back because quite simply i don't think i have any. I eat dinner every day at 5.30, 6 on the evenings, i've managed to get that one sorted, thanks go to my mum for that. The rest i just cant get.

I don't feel hungry in the morning, if anything i feel sickly. I get to work and i feel i could eat, but cant cause im working, obviously. I come home, don't really eat lunch. On an occasion i might have a sandwich or something small like that. Dinner, as i mentioned and then i dont tend to have a supper, though if i have cereal in the house i'll have that.

I absolutely CANNOT get into eating properly, i've tried many times now and it just does not work. I havent got the hunger inside me to want to eat more than the bare minimum, and that itself isnt out of choice. It's just how i am/feel.

In order to lose weight, this is particularly important to me, i obviously need to eat more and i think it's why i've found it so hard in the past TO lose weight because i cannot get my food intake right.

Any word's of advice / similar ?

Comments

• Options
    I am exactly the same, except I'm very slim, Nice to know that someone else is the same!
  • Options
    I am exactly the same, except I'm very slim, Nice to know that someone else is the same!

Ditto! :(
  • Options
    Well there's a number of things I can think of that helps me. I use sublingual vitamin b-12 dots. They increase red blood cell count, hence making me hungry.
  • Options
    do you give yourself enough time in the morning to have a drink and possibly eat something? sometimes i feel a bit sick but if i have a glass of water or a cup of tea it subsides and i can eat. it might also be partly psychological because if you think you feel sick and can not eat then you won't. maybe you should get up a little bit earlier and have a drink and as you're getting ready see what happens. try to eat a bit of toast or cereal even if you don't feel like it and maybe you will get used to it.

breakfast is really important because it kick-starts your metabolism.
  • Options
    I agree with lipsy that the getting up a bit earlier might help.
  • Options
    On the weight side of things, perhaps you could join weight watchers. Food has a points value, therefore you simply just need to eat food with higher points values, and you will then be eating enough for your weight at least. I am not sure if you can ever change your natural appetite?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Have a smoke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    do you give yourself enough time in the morning to have a drink and possibly eat something? sometimes i feel a bit sick but if i have a glass of water or a cup of tea it subsides and i can eat. it might also be partly psychological because if you think you feel sick and can not eat then you won't. maybe you should get up a little bit earlier and have a drink and as you're getting ready see what happens. try to eat a bit of toast or cereal even if you don't feel like it and maybe you will get used to it.

breakfast is really important because it kick-starts your metabolism.

I always have a cup of tea and that doesn't make me want to eat :no:
  • Options
    I always have a cup of tea and that doesn't make me want to eat :no:
    i would have though just getting something into your stomach would start of the whole metabolism thingy and make you a bit hungry -unless its a cup of coffee. what about just water then?
  • Options
    I dont think that helps

It wasn't serious.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It wasn't serious.

It is true though lol
  • Options
    I'm like that, but I can never be arsed changing it.

Maybe once in a blue moon I'll buy a thing of Frosties or some shit and have brekky for about a week, then it'll be another few months till I even bother.

Half the time I'll have a Subway or somethin for lunch, depends on how hungry I am.

Then usually when I finish work I'll have a BK or some shit, if I'm going out drinking I'll have a kebab after, if not I'll just have munchies or something in the flat.

The Atkins Diet it aint, I told my doctor today that I'd try and eat healthier for my own good, but we'll see :nervous:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I'm like that, but I can never be arsed changing it.

Maybe once in a blue moon I'll buy a thing of Frosties or some shit and have brekky for about a week, then it'll be another few months till I even bother.

Half the time I'll have a Subway or somethin for lunch, depends on how hungry I am.

Then usually when I finish work I'll have a BK or some shit, if I'm going out drinking I'll have a kebab after, if not I'll just have munchies or something in the flat.

The Atkins Diet it aint, I told my doctor today that I'd try and eat healthier for my own good, but we'll see :nervous:

I do that, If i see some cereal that appeals to me, I will eat it a few times, but for what it's worth, it doesn't make me feel any different.
    When i go out drinking (usually on an empty stomach) I get the munchies and eat a big Pizza/Kebab

I've tried drinking a pint o' water in the morning, but that doesn't have any effect either... Maybe I'm just not human :yippe:
  • Options
    Drinking water wont give you an appetite. It will make you feel even more full.
  • Options
    Smoking for me ruins my apetite

Depends what you're smoking! But yeah, regular tabs work as an appetite supressant (whether that's the intention or no) for a lot of people. Made clear by the old coffee and cigarettes (and coke, optional) diet loads of celebs seem to stick by. Anyway, no, smoking is not the answer haha :p

I have waves of this kind of appetite problem, but obviously it's a bit more of a problem for you if you've always been this way. Have you tried getting a bit more exercise? When I'm more sedentary I hardly eat, because my body doesn't send me the signals that it needs energy. The body's just like a car, really, you need to put in the amount of petrol for the distance you're going to go. If that makes sense.

Also, maybe try and follow a strict plan for a while and see if that changes anything. As lipsy said, get up early and give yourself a little time to feel those morning hunger pangs; make sure you eat your lunch at whatever time lunchtime is for you, and have an evening meal. Have little healthy snacks inbetween times if possible to keep your digestive system ticking over.
  • Options
    Smoking for me ruins my apetite

Smoking weed?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    cant say that i have any good advice on how to get yourself an appetite - just thought id say.. I wish i thought the same way as you do about food!
    i am CONSTANTLY hungry!! even after a big meal i raid the cupboards for more junk to stuff my face with. id love it if i didnt want food very much

sorry.. that wasnt much help
  • Options
    Ha ha my thread made the front page :razz: .. You even quoted me ! :D

Thank you for all the replies also. I have tried many a time to get into a strict regime but i find it extremely hard to force myself to eat when i feel sick in the stomach, and hard to stick to when i do not feel hungry. I can only compare it to the aforementioned " body like car " comment by Briggi, would you fill up the oil if it was full ? Or the petrol tank ? or the water ? .. My hunger is like that, not that it is full, but you get my drift [i hope!].

I could try getting up earlier. I had managed that for a period of time earlier in the year but even then i still didn't feel hungry and just couldnt attempt to eat.
  • Options
    Maybe mix a little dextrose in some milk, & take about 30min before a meal, that will increase appatite.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    I could try getting up earlier. I had managed that for a period of time earlier in the year but even then i still didn't feel hungry and just couldnt attempt to eat.

To be honest, I think if you're anything like me you'd well struggle to change loads of stuff at once (diet, getting up early, getting more exercise etc)

I think maybe try and gradually try and cut out snacks and stuff between meals (says he eating through a packet of Cheddars as we speak) and try and eat healthier stuff if you do try and eat. Not like lettuce or that, but maybe like yoghurt or something?

Then maybe try and get up a bit earlier (harder seeing as it's getting darker in the morning), I think I'm quite lucky because it's only a 10 minute walk into town from where I am, so even if it's raining I'd always get a good walk every day.

It's all worth thinking about, but don't try and change too much too soon because you'll end up chickening out of it.