Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tattoos at a young age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dont understand this, it gets right under my collar. why ffs?! you can usually tell those who've been tattooed at age 14 or whatever, because its always like, a dolphin, or a 'horny' devil or effing tweety pie or something.

one of my friends, a girl who is 15, just got one done. she is mature for her age, and looks 18, but she got a Thor's hammer (the viking god of war doncha know) on her wrist and got her boyfriends name in runes inside it. what ze fook?! theyve been going out for all of a month. and shes being all gay about it: "oh, no one knows what it says". aye but you do hen! what if you split and you've his name on you for the rest of your life?!?! UGH.

anyone on here had any tattoos theyve regretted??

Comments

• Options
    I really need to get around to getting mine done.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I really need to get around to getting mine done.

Done as in "ones you regret getting rid of" or getting one in the first place?
  • Options
    Done as in "ones you regret getting rid of" or getting one in the first place?
    Haha, one Im going to get done :) Im not going to regret it.
  • Options
    my boyfriend has a tattoo of a drawing that one of my friends did, which was inspired by me on his shoulder blade

another friend was going to get a tattoo for her 16th and asked the same friend to design it, but she never got it done. How she was going to get it done anyway i dont know.

Then my cousin got a lizard on the bottom of her back when she was 16.

Its up to them i guess, im never having one cause i'll probably get bored/not like it after a while.
  • Options
    I almost has a skull and crossbones tattoo the other day. It was so fit... but then I remembered that it's just a fashion and that I'll probably hate it in 10 years time.

I still want it though... hmm.

I had a little black heart on the top of my right bumcheek when I was 17... I love it and I can't see me ever getting bored of it.
  • Options
    Tattoos are a personal thing, so what if people think it's a fad or a craze, as long as you like it, that's the main thing.
  • Options
    I've got one on me bum too. " Insert 50p for a further five minutes " :D
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    my boyfriend has a tattoo of a drawing that one of my friends did, which was inspired by me on his shoulder blade

Ha, my ex got a tattoo of something I wrote on his arm, which I'd actually completely forgotten about until you said that. I wonder how badly he regrets that, now, :chin: though it was pretty cool...

I'll never regret mine; I possibly wouldn't get it done again now but it's a relic of days gone by which I like :) I'll probably get another at some point, I've got a couple of ideas floating round my head.
  • Options
    i've been planning tattoos for years and have planned exactly where they are going to go and such...

personaly i think that any tattooist that will tattoo anyone without ID shouldn't be used...
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    :lol:
  • Options
    I got a 'semi-permanant' tattoo on my left shoulder blade when I was fourteen. It's a rose, way classy... anyway, loved it at the time but figured I'd probably get bored of it, but it was all good cos in five years it'd have faded.

And of course, I learnt the hard way that they don't actually fade. It's in a really crappy place as well, right underneath my bra strap rather than at one side of it. I went to a proper tattooist not so long back to see about getting it covered up, but I'd have to have something fairly big and probably another flower design. Which sucks.

And I really, really regret having it done, or at least not researching it better. I get conscious of it on when I'm going out, thinking 'if I wear that top then my tattoo'll show' and I really hate when mates go 'ooh, I didn't know you had a tattoo, let's see!' If I'm drunk it sends me into a right sulk, heh.
  • Options
    I think the tattooing of anyone under the age of 18 is a bad idea. Dont get me wrong, im not saying that anyone below that age is immature, stupid, incapable of making a serious decision....but if at 18 you still crave the design you thought up at 15, you know its a winner.

Obviously not everyone takes their tattooing seriously enough so the world will always be filled with taz's, horny devils, "MUM", and crap tribal flash....
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

:lol:

I used to know a guy that had "100% GRADE-A AMERICAN BEEF" on his ass.
    Glittery wrote:
    Tattoos are a personal thing, so what if people think it's a fad or a craze, as long as you like it, that's the main thing.

And I agree with that. Tattoos are memories of times past. When I'm half a century I probably won't be sporting my Simba, but I'll like it because it was who I am/was. I liked it enough to get it, therefore I'll like it enough as a memory. No regrets.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

So right. Tattoo snobbery really gets on my jubblies. I mean, I don't like 95% of tattoos people have, but I'm all for their right to have them. So what if someone just walked into a tattoo shop and pointed to the first cartoon character? Why shouldn't they?

As long as they're not going for Chinese characters (unless you are Chinese, or know someone who can read/write Chinese that you trust implicitly, this is never going to be a good idea), it isn't your skin, so why worry about it?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    So right. Tattoo snobbery really gets on my jubblies. I mean, I don't like 95% of tattoos people have, but I'm all for their right to have them. So what if someone just walked into a tattoo shop and pointed to the first cartoon character? Why shouldn't they?

As long as they're not going for Chinese characters (unless you are Chinese, or know someone who can read/write Chinese that you trust implicitly, this is never going to be a good idea), it isn't your skin, so why worry about it?

That's OK if they're adults but the problem is when they're not.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    That's OK if they're adults but the problem is when they're not.

True enough. Which is why it's illegal for under 18s to have them. I know kids will get them anyway, but then there's their punishment - having a shit tattoo for life.
  • Options
    I might just go for it and get a skull and crossbones for my 21st. I can be a pirate forever! Pirates aaarrrrrrr cool!
  • Options
    I have a tiny weeny rose and butterfly type thing on my left shoulder. I had it done when I was 17 and it cost me all of £15.. woo!! I don't hate it, but I don't display it either. I would have it removed if I had the cash I guess. I don't want any more though. My mum still doesn't know I have one LOL

In the town where I live there are some polish tattoo artists knocking peoples doors and doing cheap tattoos in the comfort of your own front room :nervous: . One mum at my sons school has just turned up with 2 bear paw prints on her boobs, a massive rose thing with her blokes name on one arm, and the other arm has her 5 kids names on it. She looks a scabby mess and I think the tattoos are pretty minging too.

Tattoos seem to go through phases. At school people used to do their own with indian ink and a scalpel :yuck: When I was a teen it was roses, devils and cartoon characters, chinese writing, then it went to Pamela Anderson style bands round your arms. Then Celtic things across the back. Seems to have moved on stars up the inside of your arms and crossbone type things.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Ha, my ex got a tattoo of something I wrote on his arm, which I'd actually completely forgotten about until you said that. I wonder how badly he regrets that, now, :chin: though it was pretty cool...

yeah, i wasn't sure if it was a good idea but she'd already done the drawing months before and he said he saw it and fell in love with it. It's not supposed to be me, but she used me as an inspiration as it was an angel sort of dancing. He probably would have had it even if it wasn't based on me. Plus it was unique.
    His choice and money i guess.

I found the picture....it was that without the viney bits.
  • Options
    Thats a nice picture. I'd have that done if I had a nice enough expanse of flesh to have it done on!! :lol:
  • Options
    I'd quite like a star on my wrist and then I found out that it has lesbian connotations (gay women used to have nautical start tattoos that were in places where they could be hidden easily or shown easily as a way of identifying each other) - and I look dykey enough without any help. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I have a very small tattoo of a panther! My family were horrified at first. But I've stuck with just having one. Some people could bitterly regret doing it!
  • Options
    paperdoll wrote:
    Thor's hammer

Called the Mjolnir. Interesting fact of the day.

Personally I think tattoos are ugly and unoriginal. But hey, it's your life. I personally can't think of anything I would wish to have inked into my skin for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I personally wouldn't get a tattoo. I don't like them. However, if we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place ;)

The only thing about tattoos that concern me is the number of dodgy places out there. If you're going to get one done, make sure it's at somewhere reputable.