Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

lying ex-boyfriend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My ex-boyfriend has recently got himself a new girlfriend, which is fine by me. I thought I'd feel a bit crap about it, and I kinda sat there waiting for the feeling (lol, actually sat there), but it hasn't really bothered me. It almost feels like closure in a way. Like he's not available anymore, so there's no point in thinking about him anymore.

But that's not the problem. We broke up because he cheated on me...twice. However, he's told his new girlfriend that we broke up for another reason, which is kinda long and complicated, but comes off with me looking like the bad guy. He only told me that he's lied to her, because she goes to college with me, and he was worried I'd meet her and tell her the truth. So he asked me not to.

I was fuming! :mad: why should i lie for him, making me look bad after all he put me through?!? I can't believe he had the cheek to ask me. Anyways, I don't know if he's told her the truth or not yet. But If I do meet her round college do you think I shoudl tell her? Part of me wants to, to clear my name, and also to get back at him. But, I'm nice really, and I know it would hurt if I told her. And I suppose I'll end up looking like the 'medaling ex'. But rarrr! He shouldn't be allowed to lie about me like that

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Tell her when you see her. Make you feel better :thumb:
  • Options
    Definately tell her.

Ive read alot of peoples relationship problems in the sun newspaper, and read the professional reply it gets.

By looking at your problem, go for it, tell her the truth, it may piss him off but what the hell! Why should he be happy, and you not be happy?

Go girl!!
  • Options
    The thing is, if you tell her, how would she know whether you're trying to stir things up between her and your ex?

That being said, I do think you should tell her. Why should you have to lie for him?
  • Options
    :thumb:
  • Options
    yea i don't want to look like I'm just stirring for the sake of it. I don't really know her either, but I could have a well timed conversation with a mate about how he cheated on me...
  • Options
    I think if you talk to her and it comes up, like she asks you about it or summit, then you should definitely tell her.
    But if you just walk up to her and blurt it out, you'll look like a right dick and she probably wont believe you.

^My thoughts :)
  • Options
    If asked, tell the truth.

If not, theres no need to say anything, you'll only come across as the bitter ex who wants to split them up because you want him for yourself.

I'd personally be really nice to her too, to show your not the bad guy. She's more likely to question your ex's accusations that way.
  • Options
    i dont suggest u walk straight up to her and tell her.. what i suggest u do is start speaking to her, and say look, this is my ex, i know what hes like, but i just want to warn you about him... then go onto telling her about what happened.

just dont make yourself sound like a bitch
  • Options
    I wouldn't tell her, or have any "well-timed conversations". It's really none of your concern since he is your ex and she is nothing to you.

As Blah said, if she asks directly about why you broke up then feel free to either tell the truth or say you'd rather not speak about it. Otherwise just leave well alone, if he's lying to her already then their relationship may well implode and his true colours be exposed sooner rather than later -- even without your input.
  • Options
    ahh you're all too nice! lol

nah, I think you're probably right briggi. If he's lying to her already, it can't be a very big deal to him anyways, and the future ain't bright. But if she asks, not that she would because I don't even know her, I would just be honest and tell her exactly what he's like!
  • Options
    brad18 wrote:
    Ive read alot of peoples relationship problems in the sun newspaper, and read the professional reply it gets.

LOL! that's fantastic.

Anyway. Well, it's up to you if you want to make him look worse, or if you just swallow it down and try to be happy for him. I don't even think she will ask you, but if you think it's going to be a rumor and might narrow down friendship/relationships with people, because they think you are <insert something bad here>, then go up to her, "I know you won't believe me, since I am supposed to be the angry ex, but he cheated twice on me, that's why we seperated."
  • Options
    Sounds to me like he made his bed, let him sleep in it!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I wouldn't tell her, or have any "well-timed conversations". It's really none of your concern since he is your ex and she is nothing to you.

As Blah said, if she asks directly about why you broke up then feel free to either tell the truth or say you'd rather not speak about it. Otherwise just leave well alone, if he's lying to her already then their relationship may well implode and his true colours be exposed sooner rather than later -- even without your input.

Best advice on here... !
  • Options
    If you tell her about this, she may get the feeling that you're just trying to split them up, that you're some jealous ex who wants her old boyfriend back. Your words could cause nothing but trouble. Then again, if the guy cheats on her as well, she couldn't say she hadn't been warned of his philandering ways!
  • Options
    i recommend as well not to tell her as you may come accross as the jealous ex, especially as you have been branded by him as the one in the wrong.

If youve told your friends at college when he first cheated on you, then im sure the truth will get round to her pretty soon.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If you tell her about this, she may get the feeling that you're just trying to split them up, that you're some jealous ex who wants her old boyfriend back. Your words could cause nothing but trouble. Then again, if the guy cheats on her as well, she couldn't say she hadn't been warned of his philandering ways!

This is very true. I would just tell her if she happens to ask you. If you just walk up to her and say what happened, then like it has already been mentioned a few times, then she might get the impression that you're the ex who wants her boyfriend back and can't move on and forgot him/accept that he's moved on and is now with someone else.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    This is very true. I would just tell her if she happens to ask you. If you just walk up to her and say what happened, then like it has already been mentioned a few times, then she might get the impression that you're the ex who wants her boyfriend back and can't move on and forgot him/accept that he's moved on and is now with someone else.
    Let's say I started dating someone. A few weeks into ther relationship, her ex comes up to me and says she cheated on him. If I was in love, I wouldn't know whether to believe him or not. Was this guy being genuine, or trying to come between the ex and her new boyfriend? If they're in love, I suspect they'd be more likely to believe their current partner.