Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Leave Tony alone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right i don't want to be a bit out my depth here in the politics forum; im sure most of you are politics students or whatever, but here goes.
I just feel lately that all this squabbling in Blair's party is ridiculous, I know there are reasons for why people want to know when he's going to stand down, but can't the man get on with more important jobs like ACTUALLY running the country instead of talking about when he's going to stop?
Say he did give a set date, in the weeks running up to it the papers would be full of 'Blair won't make deadline' etc., slating that whatever he's trying to acheive at the time won't happen before he's had to step down.
Now, to try and shut up members of his own party he's said he 'will have stood down by this time next year' which is apparently cause enough for scandal in the press..
Speculation at his successor is now what is making headlines, and I just think that maybe the government should concentrate on sorting out the country like it's supposed to.
I mean people like Jamie Oliver are doing more for Great Britain at the moment than any of the stupid politicians.

Comments

• Options
    That's a reasonable enough point of view.

However Blair did actually trigger all this himself by revealing that he wouldn't seek a fourth term. If he'd refused to answer that question then, perhaps this situation wouldn't have arisen.
  • Options
    I'll leave Blair alone when he does the decent thing and hangs himself.
  • Options
    im sure most of you are politics students or whatever

:lol:

If you read our posts, you'd know that wasn't the case... :D
    I just feel lately that all this squabbling in Blair's party is ridiculous, I know there are reasons for why people want to know when he's going to stand down, but can't the man get on with more important jobs like ACTUALLY running the country instead of talking about when he's going to stop?

he erroded his own power base when he said that he would go before the end of his elected term. At that point the Labour party started looking inwards for new power, a new leader, and some members are trying to toady up to the new man instead of the current boss. It's personal interest first, sadly.

If he is going then he should go now, not put it off.

Instead he wants to put his personal ambition (to be PM for 10 years) ahead of what the country needs - effective and strong leadership.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by Scarlet Pimpernell
    im sure most of you are politics students or whatever

:lol:

If you read our posts, you'd know that wasn't the case... :D

Thank God, there's no-one who knows less about the reality of politics than someone who's studied politics and think the theory they've learnt bears any resemblance to reality (and I speak of one who graduated from a politics department).
  • Options
    (to be PM for 10 years)

Exactly, i'm expecting Stuart Hall to pop up with an It's A Knockout joker and double his term to 20 years !
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No, I am not going to leave him alone.

Yes, I studied politics. I don't know WHY, we never did ANY work - the teacher just kept giving us BBC news printouts, so me and a mate spent lessons talking or playing noughts and crosses. He's lost his job now... I am not even exaggerating btw.

Anyway. People would leave Tony alone if he did a good job. He hasn't. He deserves all the stick he gets.
  • Options
    yeah i think youre right, i meant to say in my original post im not some pro blair, i dont agree with a lot of his actions and dont get me started on the bush arse licking, but i think that if hes not goin right now, then theres nothing any of us minions can do about it so we should just let it be. im just sick of hearing it in the news. well the radio1 news bulletins anyway, maybe i should just branch out a bit?
  • Options
    TBH i dont like his policies but i've had enough he made a mistake admitting his departure but now at least he has given us a rough timetable, but i feel i another timetable to sort out the leaving of afghanistan and iraq, back to the point hes going he is a lame duck but i know hes going soon so i think he should start wrapping things up so he shouldn't leave straight away a smooth transfer is needed for the labour party. i think he should be left alone for a little while but if he isnt gone by jan/feb then i might get angry again.
  • Options
    Lesson of the day - Prime Ministers should never, ever admit when they might leave office. Just carry on with the job until you don't want to do it anymore, your health fails you, or you no longer commander enough support. He should have gone about May 2004, I reckon, but now he should just shut up and get on with his job. Make your last year a good spin-free one please, Tone, and I might not be quite so nasty when I come to writing your Prime Ministerial epitaph. ;)
  • Options
    I am totally fed up of the non story of when Tony Blair may or may not leave filling the newspapers and TV news. There are real things going on in the world.
  • Options
    Labour (Tony supporters) are saying that Tony should be left alone because he was given the franchise to govern at the last election by the people.

Bullshit! What option did we have? Michael Howard?

He was the better of two BAD choices (apologies to the Lib Dem supporters). There is no doubt he lied about Iraq (which drove a man to suicide for telling the truth), made himself the second most hated Western leader after George Bush, has led the country down a path of fear and suspicion after the July bombings, allowed Israel to stomp over an independant country (Lebanon) without even a pause in slapping the suntan oil over himself, etc etc etc etc etc etc

And that state of the economy? His achievements are overrated. Apart from the very rich, how many ordinary people are ACTUALLY better off financially after 10 years? Even a loaf of bread has almost doubled in 10 years ...

He's a cunt.

He must go.

NOW!!!
  • Options
    The only people who voted Tony Blair into Parliament are the people of Sedgefield.

The good news is that Blair will go...the bad news is that Brown will replace him.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    And that state of the economy? His achievements are overrated. Apart from the very rich, how many ordinary people are ACTUALLY better off financially after 10 years? Even a loaf of bread has almost doubled in 10 years...
    Blair has done nothing for our economy. Brown did one good thing - giving independence to the Bank of England. All the government can do now to keep the economy going well is to keep taxes fairly low, something Brown has failed to do.
  • Options
    The person who created our strong economyy- Kenneth Clarke- is vilified by most Labour people. Quite funny really.

It's a shame Clarke had principles- if he had sunk the economy we wouldn't still have His Tonyness and his Scottish cunt of a friend in charge.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The person who created our strong economyy- Kenneth Clarke- is vilified by most Labour people. Quite funny really.

It's a shame Clarke had principles- if he had sunk the economy we wouldn't still have His Tonyness and his Scottish cunt of a friend in charge.
    Earlier this week, I saw a front page of the Daily Express that said: "The rats are deserting the sinking premiership. Why won't Brown have the guts to resign too?". At first, I thought they were stark raving mad to ask it. But as the days have gone on, it's become obvious. If Brown resigned, saying he wasn't happy with Blair staying on, he'd almost certainly be finished.
  • Options
    It's not too often that I agree with Galloway, but he was right when he said that Blair and Brown are two cheeks of the same arse.

New Labour was a joint enterprise, designed and created by both of them. Brown likes to use Old Labour words to hide what he really is, but politically he's just His Tonyness without the charm.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not too often that I agree with Galloway, but he was right when he said that Blair and Brown are two cheeks of the same arse.

New Labour was a joint enterprise, designed and created by both of them. Brown likes to use Old Labour words to hide what he really is, but politically he's just His Tonyness without the charm.

Yup.

And the rest of the part are against the two now. Ah, hopefully some ideology might be injected back int othe British political spectrum? Once Cameron fucks off, we might even have a Tory party back to rival them.
  • Options
    Meantime today, that idiot who has the cheek to call himself the Chancellor was wheeled out in front of Andy Marr to deny that he was behind the events this week. A denial too late, and completely unbelievable, even by Gordon's standards. More here. And this of course on the same morning that The Mail on Sunday reported that Gordon Brown had met a certain Tom Watson a few days before the fighting started. Yep, the Tom Watson that resigned a few days ago. No mystery what that was about...
  • Options
    If he had stepped down in 2002 or something then he'd be labelled one of the greatest, he didn't, made many mistakes since. You can say good and bad things about him but it's true he must go, sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I enjoyed his antics in front of the unions, as reported this morning. Can anyone remember that unfunny comedian played by Phil Cornwell in 'Glam Metal Detectives'? Eddie Witless, was it..?
  • Options
    Some Blairite arse kisser launched a website last week called keepingthefaith.org.uk pledging its support to Tony and asking punters to join it by adding their name.

The website was promptly posted on U75 by an eagle-eyed member and within minutes it was inundated with hundreds of, er, 'unusual' supporters, from Hitler to bin Laden to Jesus. They had to end up taking the site down to remove the offending names. Our antics even made it to three newspapers :D

The list of signatories showing how it quickly went pear-shaped

And a compilation of newspapers and websites' articles on it
  • Options
    Personally if I was David Cameron I would have signed it. Civil war in the Labour Party is a good thing.

Not sure I would have done if I was Idi Amin though, muscular liberalism, isn't neccessarily a thing third world dictators will be supporting. Jesus is almost certainly a Tory anyway :D
  • Options
    Jesus a tory? He was a commie mate. If not a tree-hugging hippy anarchist :D

- He didn't like the rich

- He believed in paying taxes

- He believed in equality

- He wore sandals and a beard
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Jesus a tory? He was a commie mate. If not a tree-hugging hippy anarchist :D

- He didn't like the rich

- He believed in paying taxes

- He believed in equality

- He wore sandals and a beard

Yeah, but fed the people and healed the sick, which is more than the communists ever managed to do :D