Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tips for selling on ebay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, im wondering if anyone could give me any tips for selling my stuff on ebay, as my self explantory thread title will tell you.
Ive bought stuff on ebay before but never sold, and was wondering whether there are any 'tactics', so to speak, as with buying i have found that bidding at the last minute is a useful method.
Ive got a range of stuff im hoping to sell off just to earn myself a bit of bob, from a brand new ikea lamp to a miniature american fridge to a still-packaged morgan watch. My mate says i wouldnt get more than a couple of quid for each item even though it's mostly once used.
Ive gathered that i need to upload pictures on there, so i'll need to track down a digital camera, but yeah basically im wondering if it's just as easy as clicking the 'sell' button and following the instructions or is there anything else i should know?
Thanks a lot for any advice:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Dont set your prices too high, just cos you paid £20 for something doesnt mean you'll get that back, your 20 quid item is only worth what someone will pay.

Be clear about everything, state if you'll except returns, what is included in your P&P prices, turnaround etc.

When possible always use a photo of the actual item.

What I do when I sell stuff is put it on for a 3 day auction, if there's a lot of interest then I'll leave it, if not then I'll extend it to a 5 day auction and so on. You can change any listing as long as there are more than 12 hours to run.

Im always selling stuff, it's an addiction now I think :shocking:

My link to my eBay is in my sig if you want to have a swatch at how I lay stuff out etc :)
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    My link to my eBay is in my sig if you want to have a swatch at how I lay stuff out etc :)
    You've got nice floor boards :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    You've got nice floor boards :)
    Haha thank you :)
  • Options
    Cheers glittery, v helpful x
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    ALWAYS put "Sold as seen, no guarantee, no returns!"

Its a rule to live by.
  • Options
    99 times out of a hundred put a buy it now option on it. People will pay more if they don't have to wait. second hang games go for 6/7 quid normally, put a 15 buy it now option on it with first class delivery and dispatch by next working day, then people will happily pay that because it's cheaper (and in many cases faster) than the online retailers :-).

Play on world of warcraft on the auction house, its not real money so theres less to worry about. Buy it now is the key to getting real money though, as you can charge slightly higher. Typical auction will never sell above guide price because most items you sell, there are alot of. The exceptions are one off rare items, and then you want to post links to the item on blogs etc. to get interest in it.
  • Options
    how do i ship out to foreign buyers?? if i put that i cant send outside the UK will i get much less offers?
  • Options
    You can state in your listing that international buyers need to contact your before bidding to agree a price for postage. Only selling to UK/Ireland doesnt really limit you cos if someone really wants something then they'll contact you. Just beware of people wanting you to send stuff to their brother in Nigeria ;)
  • Options
    Hi, im wondering if anyone could give me any tips for selling my stuff on ebay, as my self explantory thread title will tell you.
    Ive bought stuff on ebay before but never sold, and was wondering whether there are any 'tactics', so to speak, as with buying i have found that bidding at the last minute is a useful method.
    Ive got a range of stuff im hoping to sell off just to earn myself a bit of bob, from a brand new ikea lamp to a miniature american fridge to a still-packaged morgan watch. My mate says i wouldnt get more than a couple of quid for each item even though it's mostly once used.
    Ive gathered that i need to upload pictures on there, so i'll need to track down a digital camera, but yeah basically im wondering if it's just as easy as clicking the 'sell' button and following the instructions or is there anything else i should know?
    Thanks a lot for any advice:thumb:

How many points do you have on Ebay?

I think you need over a certain number of positive feedback points to do things like have the buy now option, etc.

I wouldn't really bother selling to people abroad to begin with, more chance of fraud.

I'm more of a buyer on ebay then a seller, although I've manly sold tickets to events on ebay and these were my own events so there wasn't anything physical to send out.