Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

American words on Facebook

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is university (undergraduate) in the UK called "college" or "grad school" in the states/ on facebook?

Is an alum the same thing as alumni?

I'm trying to fill it all in but it is a bit confusing!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Its college, grad school would be post grad.

Alum is indeed short for alumni.

Enjoy facebook! I'm on there!
  • Options
    Its college, grad school would be post grad.

Alum is indeed short for alumni.

Enjoy facebook! I'm on there!
    That's what I thought, but one of my contacts says "we went to grad school together". Also if you select grad school you can input your degree. It's all very confusing but quite good fun.
  • Options
    Yup, shes right. College and university are used mostly interchangably. Alot of the times people will refer to college as a 2 year school and university as a 4+ year school, but most times they are the same thing.
  • Options
    Facebook rules. Though the not-really-subplot of an online popularity contest is quite sinister.
  • Options
    Apparently universiy in america is equivelent to A levels over here :razz:

and i just proved my intelligence by mispelling a whole load of things up there ^^
  • Options
    Cheers guys!

My course was 3 years (I did a BSc) so I'm mostly going to call it college as grad school sounds a bit weird/ like I did a post-grad which I didn't. I notice a big inconsistency of British people on there in what they refer to their bachelors as, it would seem that they are all confused!

Thunderstruck - I did a multi-subject course so got to know lots of different people in a more vague way so in terms of looking popular on facebook I should do pretty well :thumb: But I might prefer to know fewer people better tbh.