Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BT Voyager 220V router

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just started broadband with BT and they gave me the above modem/router. I've never really used a router before but does this mean now I no longer need a software firewall? Does this model have a built-in firewall?

Comments

• Options
    Hi. I've found that having a router isn't that different than having a modem. Some do come with Firewall software but it's never too bad to have one yourself.
  • Options
    The router it self wil lact like a firewall. Its best to keep your software firewall just incase a computer within your network gets a virus or something.

Um personal preference those BT routers are shockingly bad go for a D-Link, net gear or linksys. Ive had a lot of experience with these 3 and have had no complaints.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply - I don't have a network, just my own PC. This router is the one BT give you free with their BB package and haven't had any problems with it yet.

So would you suggest I'm safe to remove the software firewall?
  • Options
    Keep the software firewall. (BIG FULL STOP!)

Its always useful and if your on Windows XP service pack 2, its not bad

If you want a better FREE one go for Zone Alarm.

But KEEP the firewall!