Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question about divorce and the house

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right as you know my parents are seperated. My dads going to be moving out to live with his girlfriend when she moves closer. Until my brothers 18 my mums staying in the house with dad giving her so much every month.
But she'll have to move out once he stops paying because she wont be able to afford to stay here. My mum owns her parents house in the countryside. It's only a little semi worth hardly anymore than £100,000. Which isn't enough for her to get a mortgage on to get the 3 bedroom house she needs.
Now my dads going to be moving out, but my mum said he's going to take her name off the house. But as my dads not going to be living here is the main earner and won't have to be worrying about finding a house....is this fair? He won't be living here and won't have any money problems.
Can my mum still claim for 1/2 the house or whatever it is? Even though she owns her parents house? I just don't want my dad to walk all over her.

Comments

• Options
    Fairness doesn't really come in to it. The assetts should be half and half except for special cases, or - I'd guess - if it could be shown that one party hadn't contributed at all.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    If you are not sure about your mum's rights with the house and what she could claim, this may be a question you could send to our askTheSite service as we have housing and legal partners who can answer these kinds of questions.

http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite/askaquestion

Hope they give you some good advice
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Fairness doesn't really come in to it. The assetts should be half and half except for special cases, or - I'd guess - if it could be shown that one party hadn't contributed at all.
    so my mum can still have 1/2 of the house? She'll be the one with me and my brother by the way.
  • Options
    your mum is best off seeing a solicitor.
  • Options
    trouble is they're trying to sort as much as possible out of court and anything official to keep the costs down and hopfully speed it up. Also my mums a shrinking violet and doesnt have the courage to stand up for herself and also has no knowledge of how divorce works and what her rights are. I'm trying to convince her to take her fair share because if she doesn't, my dads going to be the one getting all the benefit.
    What kind of rights does she have?