Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thieving TV License b**

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
2004/2005 I had a TV License for the first time in my uni halls. As it was the first license I had they made me pay for a year in the first 4 months and then each month after that took a second years money until i cancelled it. When I cancelled it i called and asked for a refund and was told that there was not a full quarter to refund so couldn't get one. However I've now double checked and I've overpaid (on my second year of the license) by just over £40. Can't ring them up now because the office hours are shut, so i don't know what they're going to say, but if they fob me off, what can i do about this? im a student and £40 could well come in handy!

Comments

• Options
    Write/email them and see what they say?
  • Options
    Christ yeah, that would keep you in beer a two, maybe three hours :p

They tend to want to hold onto it and take it off next year
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    They're utter cunts, aren't they?

You might as well have wiped your arse with a crisp £50 and then set fire to it, you won't see that money again if you try and fight them for it back.

I would suggest you use the Direct Debit guarantee through your bank and get the money returned. The bank are obliged to refund you the money if you argue any DD payment.

Still, you can rest in bed safe in the knowledge that your £40 has been spent wisely on Anne Robinson's £1,000,000.00 salary:)
  • Options
    Out of interest, how do you cancel your TV licence?

I couldn't find owt on the website.

I've been paying for one on my uni room since january, and stopped using it at the end of June.

How do I cancel it?
  • Options
    Email them and the send you a form.
  • Options
    I phoned them up, the numbers on the back of your TV license. Well my problem being is that I was out of the country for a year, and will try telling them that i'm not going to get a TV License this year because i don't have a TV anymore (and if i do it'll just be paying in full rather than letting them steal from me even more). If it comes to nothing then yes, i will take it into my bank and get them to refund it.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I'm trying to work out what the three-letter expletive beginning with B is that you've blanked out, but I can't.... :chin:

and um... i'm not altogether too sure that i know what it is either, so i shall sit here and claim it's some terribly foul word in a foreign language.
  • Options
    they did that to me as well the cunts. i got a refund though, i just had to show them a contract for the new house to show when i left the old one
  • Options
    They have to prove that you will receive a television signal without a license, it is not for you to prove the opposite.

But since when have the thieving lying cunts over at the BBC given a flying fuck about the law? Time to put every single BBC employee in prison, me thinks.

I wouldn't piss about trying to get money out of them, they're all cunts, you'll be there forever. You might as well set fire to wad of fivers. I would use the DD guarantee to recall all the payments.
  • Options
    Well actually they'd "apparently" sent out a cheque that I never recieved, so it has now been reissued. hope it's to the right address, i may need to double check that!