Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kyoto isn't working, prepare for climate change, say scientists

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's practically started already, hasn't it? The temprature here has been going up and down a lot.
    Maybe we should all go near the Nile. According to Plato, that was the safe place to be the last time something like that happened.
  • Options
    Kyoto isn't working because the efforts have been half-arsed and the world's biggest pollutors haven't been on board. How many countries have met their targets?
  • Options
    If the global warming theory is true we will not reverse it through Kyoto - even if the US, China and India were on board I think that would still be true. Kyoto could perhaps buy us a few years at an enormous cost but we'll have to somehow adapt. A shortage of accessible fossil fuels forcing prices to astronomical levels or a viable alternative energy will reduce carbon dioxide emissions far more than Kyoto or any other expensive treaty.
  • Options
    Maybe we should all go near the Nile. According to Plato, that was the safe place to be the last time something like that happened.

Middle East, safest place? :P
  • Options
    the treaties are completely pointless tbh, global warming has been going on for decades (the debate is still out there that it's a natural phenomenon that we've just sped up), and we're just now beginning to see the accelerated effects, the polar ice caps are melting at a rate of knots, the weather in general is more extreme from one day to the next, and the seasons aren't stable at all anymore, truth is like the article says the best we can do is try to adapt as best we can, it's way too late to prevent it now......
  • Options
    If the global warming theory is true we will not reverse it through Kyoto - even if the US, China and India were on board I think that would still be true. Kyoto could perhaps buy us a few years at an enormous cost but we'll have to somehow adapt. A shortage of accessible fossil fuels forcing prices to astronomical levels or a viable alternative energy will reduce carbon dioxide emissions far more than Kyoto or any other expensive treaty.
    But it's a bit unfair to say that "Kyoto isn't working" when we all know full well that it was never going to work without certain countries on board, or the ones that actually were committed to actually do it properly. And I'd just like to point out that this article is in no way evidence against the theory of global warming as a result of carbon emissions. Nor is it evidence that Kyoto wouldn't have had an effect if it was carried out as planned. I personally don't have an opinion on the matter though, to be honest.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kyoto isn't working because the efforts have been half-arsed and the world's biggest pollutors haven't been on board. How many countries have met their targets?
    :thumb: True that.
  • Options
    How many countries have met their targets?

The UK :thumb:

I don't think that you can say that Kyoto isn't working, it would work if it was implemented - of at least it would make a difference - it's the scumbag power brokers who aren't working here.
  • Options
    When the world's biggest polluters including the biggest polluting nation in the history of mankind refuse to join the Kyoto agreement it's little surprise it didn't work.

Climate change is real and man is accelerating it and making it worse. That only the most ultra thick fool or the most shameless paid-up necon 'scientist' could possibly deny.

The scientific community warned only yesterday that we have as little as a decade to change things before global warming and its effects become irreversable. It's high time we put our political leanings aside and demand that every country starts to make real efforts to become greener. And the 'freedom of choice' and 'safeguarding the economy' so-called arguments can fuck themselves and die.
  • Options
    Best stop wasting all this electricity pissing around on the internet then hadn't you Aladdin?
  • Options
    Yeah, and I should go and live in a cave as well ha ha ha.

Please spare us the simplistic nonsense argument.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    . And the 'freedom of choice' and 'safeguarding the economy' so-called arguments can fuck themselves and die.

Where as the above was complex and well researched?

:confused:
  • Options
    Er... yes it is. Isn't it?

The chimp always mention the importance of "safeguarding American jobs" when he defends America's refusal to curb its emissions significantly. That is little more than empty threats and scaremongering rubbish. The rest of the world appears to be cutting emissions, however little, without harm to the economy.

And as for "freedom of choice", you must have heard at one time or another some necon twat using that very expression when it is suggested America should ditch its absurd and in most cases completely unjustified love for monster trucks. I.e. "I don't give a damn if the world is going to the dogs, it's my right as American to drive whatever the hell I please- and everyone else can go to hell".

So I'd say the comments you have highlighted are well researched and based on facts, yes.
  • Options
    I heard a statistic about that actually. Apparently the average fuel consumption of cars in america is about 15-16 MPG whereas the average in the UK is 35-40MPG.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Er... yes it is. Isn't it?

The chimp always mention the importance of "safeguarding American jobs" when he defends America's refusal to curb its emissions significantly. That is little more than empty threats and scaremongering rubbish. The rest of the world appears to be cutting emissions, however little, without harm to the economy.

And as for "freedom of choice", you must have heard at one time or another some necon twat using that very expression when it is suggested America should ditch its absurd and in most cases completely unjustified love for monster trucks. I.e. "I don't give a damn if the world is going to the dogs, it's my right as American to drive whatever the hell I please- and everyone else can go to hell".

So I'd say the comments you have highlighted are well researched and based on facts, yes.

Why is some yank contributing to global warming by driving a humvee any morally worse than you contributing to global warming by wasting electricity on pointless internet/PC activity?

I wouldn't say "don't use electricity" and I am sure you wouldn't say "don't use cars" but if you are going to argue that people have to be careful with their car use then you have to be careful with your domestic electricity use before you get all righteous.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Why is some yank contributing to global warming by driving a humvee any morally worse than you contributing to global warming by wasting electricity on pointless internet/PC activity?

I wouldn't say "don't use electricity" and I am sure you wouldn't say "don't use cars" but if you are going to argue that people have to be careful with their car use then you have to be careful with your domestic electricity use before you get all righteous.......
    Firstly, what gives you the idea that I am only online and using a computer to visit this forum? I'm not.

Even if I was, I suspect that the environmental damage of using a gas guzzling monster truck as an every day vehicle is, I'd say, 10,000 times worse than someone who spends an hour or two browsing the internet on a computer. At least 10,000 times worse.

But as I said I'm working and doing other stuff when I'm on the computer, so I'd say a gas guzzler user is in fact doing around 50,000 times more damage to the environment than I am.

Forgive me for taking the moral high ground and for such blatant case of 'hypocrisy'... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Bollocks about gas guzzlers is tedious. As you know full well Aladdin of total carbon dioxide output 4x4's are insignificant. Even car use itself is minor in contrast to other sources of carbon dioxide.

Carbon Dioxide emissions by source.

If the global warming brigade are correct it's pretty reckless of them to dedicate all of their energies against 4x4s (or all cars for that matter). Or are they too thick to realise that there are other sources of carbon dioxide besides cars? But then for many on the left championing 'climate change' their crusade is more about stripping people of their independence (their car) and forcing them to rely on the public sector for getting around - rather than real environmental concerns. Oh and let's not forget it's a chance for them to take a snipe at business too.

Climate change predictions could well be true but if I'm around in 40 or so years time I won't be surprised if it all turned out to be scaremongering busybodies exaggerating.
  • Options
    How tipical of Dis to try to play down the effects of vehicle emissions on global warming.

Two facts for you:

1. Nearly 25% of the CO2 emissions of the world's biggest polluter are from vehicle use.

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/vehicles_health/cars-and-trucks-and-global-warming.html

If that is not significant, you tell me what is.

2. Driving a 13mpg 4x4 rather than a 25mpg car for a year will waste more energy than:

Leaving the fridge door open for 7 years
    Leaving the TV on for 32 years
    Leaving the bathroom light on for 34 years

http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/climate.htm

Enough said
  • Options
    Climate change predictions could well be true but if I'm around in 40 or so years time I won't be surprised if it all turned out to be scaremongering busybodies exaggerating.
    Of course, of course. Damn busybodies, daring to tell folk to stop being selfish twats and to switch to a mode of transportation that is not absurdly polluting and pointless.
  • Options
    Don`t you get it ?

When people drive hybrid cars they get so full of themselves that they spew tons of self-satisfied garbage into the air.

That isn`t smog, it`s smug !

People who drive hybrid cars are the leading cause of air pollution and you know what that leads to ?

Global lame-ing.