Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Conraceptive inplant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys,

Has anyone got one of these? wot is it like 2 have? Anything my gf shood know befor she gets one?

Thanks foe any replies.

:wave:

Comments

• Options
    Has she been on hormonal contraception before and been ok with the hormones? I haven't got experience of the implant, but when I was on the pill, I had terrible mood swings, if your girlfriend hasn't been on hormonal contraception or has, and had bad experiences, tread with caution. If not, she could benefit from it.
  • Options
    i've got the implant and i'm fine with it

she does need to be aware that her periods will probably change, either becoming lighter or it is possible that they could stop all together.
  • Options
    hey, no she hasnt been on any for on contraception before.

Any other suggestions for wot she shood opt for, shes a bit of a scatter brain when it compes to taking tablets lol.

Jemz, i think she wood see her periods stopping as being a plus!!!

Thanks guys
  • Options
    Well, the implant is pretty good if you can't remember to take pills etc, and you don't have to worry if she has vomited/had the runs etc. She might want to have a think about the hormonal side of things though before having it fitted. Has she had a consultation yet?
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Well, the implant is pretty good if you can't remember to take pills etc, and you don't have to worry if she has vomited/had the runs etc. She might want to have a think about the hormonal side of things though before having it fitted. Has she had a consultation yet?
    nope shes not, take it she needs 2 go 2 the docs 4 tht.

(lol catholic skls really shood tell u this stuff)
  • Options
    all different types of contaception work slightly differently for different women, and the implant has a fairly variable reaction. It will most likely effect periods, and can make you prone to lighter no-show periods, or frequent spotting. not fun. advise to try the mini pill first for indication of reaction.
  • Options
    As Welsh Jemz said, periods usually change. I'm on the implant too, didn't hurt to have it inserted, it lasts a long time - 3 years, so I've found it very beneficial.
  • Options
    LOts of schools don't tell you. Not just RC ones. Yup she;ll need to go to the doctors, or the practise nurse, or the family planning clinic depending on which she prefers the idea of. They should explain how it works, any side effects and other options.
  • Options
    Contraceptive Implants

Do bear in mind that implants such as Implanon don't protect against STIs and like other forms of hormonal birth control, wreck your natural menstrual cycle.
  • Options
    Although Babylove is right that any contraception other than condoms won't protect against STI's and therefore it is important to get checked out before ditching the condoms, I think 'wreck' your natural menstrual cycle is too strong a term to be honest. Yes, it may well change your menstrual cycle, but on removal, fertility returns to normal within days so there are no long-term problems. And if your girlfriend is not great at remembering to take her pills, as others have said, the implant might be ideal.

You'll find more info in TheSite's article about implants here