Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

new computer headaches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, My parents have finally decided to ditch their old computer (Bought 10+ years ago and still running 95) theyve even decided to go the whole hog and get broadband. I, thought technically more literate than both of them, have to work out how to do this.

1. They want a new computer (easy enough)
2. They want a wi-fi connection so they dont have wires all over the place. (How do you work it so you can get a connection anywhere in the house ie do you just plug one of those wireless router things straight into the broadband plug or whatever?)
3. They want to be able to get their emails on the new computer, but their emails go to outlook express which collects them from various email address's. How could this be transfered to the new computer?

I think I can sort everything else out its just these things.

Comments

• Options
    i can help with the emails. im pretty sure outlook express has an 'export' feature which allows you to save your inbox and folders to a file on the harddisc, which in turn, can be shared and sent through the wireless network to be 'imported' on the new PC.

as for wi-fi, a good ISP like BTYahoo, gives you everything you need (phoneline, grey router box) and a handy set up CD
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    1)I'd recommend asking someone you know to choose the parts and build it instead of getting a pre-built one, but that's your choice.
    2)Not sure how you get broadband over there (probably just contact an ISP) but if it's dsl you just plug the router in the phone line, add filters to all telephones in the house and get a wireless card for the computer, then set up the router (which should be easy given that most have some kind of setup utility in a CD). No idea for cable.
    3)All mails should be in files somewhere in the hard drive, but I have no idea how outlook works.
  • Options
    Sorry perhaps I should have mentioned we're with Ntl. Although I dont honestly have a clue what goes on with broadband.
  • Options
    Firefly-86 wrote:
    Sorry perhaps I should have mentioned we're with Ntl. Although I dont honestly have a clue what goes on with broadband.

You'd either need to get NTL to provide your parents with a suitable broadband router, or you would need to plug the output from your NTL router into a wireless access point. (assuming that you use NTL for broadband). In the olden days at least, you couldn't just swop out the NTL provided router for your own, because they were fixed by MAC address.

Outlook probably has a wizard to shift mail between computers, or you could find the instructions for moving the files on Microsoft's knowledge base on their web site. You'd probably just need to move the *.pst, *.ost and address book files.
  • Options
    I would have thought that the problem would be getting the new outlook express to receive emails sent to the other accounts. I dont actually use outlook on my PC soi dont know if there is a way to get it to pick up emails from other accounts