Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

St John's wort

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As some may know, I having been feeling pretty down & fed up lately around issues with my ex. To try deal with this, I started going to see a counsellor and I had my second session with her today.
After I was telling her a lot about how I feel lately, she noted that it seemed like kind of mild, beginning depression symptoms (I have been depressed before about 5 years ago & took anti-depressants and counselling then) and she suggested that maybe I could try out taking St John's Wort.

I did a search on the internet for information about it and also a search on here to see people's opinions. It seems to me that there is a lot of contradictory information and opinions, some saying its great and some that its terrible or just a waste of time.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their own personal experience taking it - did it work? what were the side effects if you had any?

It particularly worries me that I've read that it could make you feel even more down :confused: If I dont want to take that risk, could anyone recommend any other vitamins/herbal remedies I could try? I have already started upping my excercise as I know that is supposed to help.

Comments

• Options
    I use st. Johns wort when dieting sometimes. It helps me stay sane. :D

But st. Johns wort is excellent for depression, unfortunatly not many people know of it & its great benefits.

I would take a regular multi vit/mineral, along with a clean healthy diet. Excersisng has been proven now to help with depression, so going a gym & using weights & doing cardio is a great self booster, & makes you feel great.

I wouldnt up your excersise to much to a point where your overtraining, because it will make you feel like shit. :yes:

Heres a link to st. Johns wort.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/wort.html

EDIT: They can alter the way other anti despresants work. So dont consume with anti depresants!
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmm bodybuilding. :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Mmmmmmmmmm bodybuilding. :D
    Oh yeah, your the one who wants his dream date as Dorian Yates. lol :D
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Oh yeah, your the one who wants his dream date as Dorian Yates. lol :D

Or Bob Paris
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Or Bob Paris
    I havnt met Bob, but I have Dorian. :yes:
  • Options
    are you on any other medication at all? Herbal 'remedies' can interfere with other drugs so if you are taking other medication, it'll be best to ask a doctor about it before taking st johns wort.
    Just because something is natural it doesnt make it safe, herbal remedies can have just as many dangers as drugs.

They also (like drugs) affect different people in different ways, so it could help one person with depression but not another, so your only way of finding out if it works for you would be to try it.
  • Options
    I used it for a while and found it very good. I understand that you can develop light sensitivity after prolonged use ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I used it for a while and found it very good. I understand that you can develop light sensitivity after prolonged use ...
    I think thats only for the first 7 days, I may be wrong though.
  • Options
    You can get it at Poundland Shop

I think it's supposed to be really popular in Germany

In some countries, including Germany, St John's Wort is prescribed for mild or moderate depression more often than standard anti-depressants.

I think it's probabaly better then taking prescription drugs.

I think a lot of problems we have are caused by stress and if St John Wort can help you to be less stressed out then maybe it a good thing.

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Factsheets/Treatments+and+drugs/St+Johns+Wort++-+Hypericum+perforatum.htm
  • Options
    If you are taking the contraceptive pill it is less effective when you take St John's wort (sorry, I don't know if this is relevant - I couldn't work out if you are male or female!!)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    If you are taking the contraceptive pill it is less effective when you take St John's wort (sorry, I don't know if this is relevant - I couldn't work out if you are male or female!!)

:) I am a girl but i dont take any contraceptive right now so that would be fine. I take some other medication but I read up on all the interactions & it doesnt seem it would affect any of it. I cant see anywhere though if it has effects when combine with other vitamins (I take a woman's mutlivitamin)

Thanks for all the info and advice so far, I guess as Blah said the only way to know for sure will be to try it so I might just do that.
  • Options
    intrepide wrote:
    :) I am a girl but i dont take any contraceptive right now so that would be fine. I take some other medication but I read up on all the interactions & it doesnt seem it would affect any of it. I cant see anywhere though if it has effects when combine with other vitamins (I take a woman's mutlivitamin)

Thanks for all the info and advice so far, I guess as Blah said the only way to know for sure will be to try it so I might just do that.
    It will counteract with other depression medication. Consult your DR before hand. But I really loved it. :)

Buy a good quality one from H&B. There may even be another sale on.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    There may even be another sale on.

Isn't H&B like DFS, they've always got a sale on ! :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Isn't H&B like DFS, they've always got a sale on ! :D
    For the past 2 years they have had non stop sales, before that though there was hardly ever a sale & if there was it was only like 10%, whereas now its 60%.

I still prefere buying my gear from America. You gotta love the exchange rate. :cool: