Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

0800 calls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any of you guys get random 0800 calls to your mobile? Ive been getting 10 a day from 1 number. I answered once, and it was silent. Is it a scam?

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    Any of you guys get random 0800 calls to your mobile? Ive been getting 10 a day from 1 number. I answered once, and it was silent. Is it a scam?

I got one of those today .. been getting a few quite recently. I just dont bother answering it.
  • Options
    Yeah I get them from 0800 4049736 (you cant call them back either), they're a company who try to sell mobiles, they keep saying 'oooh you're due for an upgrade' and I'm not, they're total scammers. Even though I've told them I'm not interested and to take me off their list, they keep calling,
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Yeah I get them from 0800 4049736 (you cant call them back either), they're a company who try to sell mobiles, they keep saying 'oooh you're due for an upgrade' and I'm not, they're total scammers. Even though I've told them I'm not interested and to take me off their list, they keep calling,
    I got calls from them too. Several times a day, & some of them late at night. I either hung up on them or pressed cancel without answering.

I googled them. They are a call centre based in India, apparently working for 3-mobile. They offer you a contract which they tell you is free, but they charge you for it & won't let you cancel. Ah, Google, how I love thee!

Are they calling you on your mobile? Because I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to make soliciting calls to a mobile - so never mind asking them to stop: they shouldn't be calling in the first place.

Anyone know if there is any official body to report them to? I asked elsewhere & was just told "answer when they ring & tell them you're not interested". Yeah, guess you missed the bit where I mentioned they're not supposed to call me ANYWAY & that they are SCAMSTERS. *headdesk*
  • Options
    I think there is a body you can report them to. I know there's certainly one you can phone so that you can stop getting these calls. (No idea of the name though)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I think there is a body you can report them to. I know there's certainly one you can phone so that you can stop getting these calls. (No idea of the name though)

Telephone Preference Service? Would that be it?

However if the calls are from overseas they might not be able to do anything about it.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:

However if the calls are from overseas they might not be able to do anything about it.

I think you might be right, but I'm not too sure.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cold calling cunts.
    Ooh, look at you alliterating!
  • Options
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:

You could also report the calls to ICSTIS if they are coming from a premium line, but they're about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

0800 numbers are freephone, so the calls will be reasonably legit I would have thought.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Yeah I get them from 0800 4049736 (you cant call them back either), they're a company who try to sell mobiles,
    had exactly the same from 08004049736. its NOT a 3 distributor. (3 should do them for fraud) but they tell you about a new "great" phone deal and after telling you you can only pay via direct debit, ask your bank details... no i didn't fall for it. and yes. its a scam. its an indian/pakistanni woman on the other end of the phone. there isn't anyone else. the calls don't come from india they get transfered to a england no. which you can call back. and i can take pleasure in the fact i gave that woman some serious abuse down the phone - i had my fun :razz:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    had exactly the same from 08004049736. its NOT a 3 distributor. (3 should do them for fraud) but they tell you about a new "great" phone deal and after telling you you can only pay via direct debit, ask your bank details... no i didn't fall for it. and yes. its a scam. its an indian/pakistanni woman on the other end of the phone. there isn't anyone else. the calls don't come from india they get transfered to a england no. which you can call back. and i can take pleasure in the fact i gave that woman some serious abuse down the phone - i had my fun :razz:
    Oooh really? So you told them you were interested and someone from England called you back? *Plots*

I'd love to give them some abuse
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    its NOT a 3 distributor. (3 should do them for fraud)

3 would love to do them for fraud, but because of the way they word it over the phone apparently they can get away with it.

Apparently.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    3 would love to do them for fraud, but because of the way they word it over the phone apparently they can get away with it.

Apparently.

Aw, check you having pride already for work! You're so new. :p
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Aw, check you having pride already for work! You're so new. :p

Which reminds me, I keep forgetting about chasing up that thing about how you get money because I mentioned your name and shit?

Tomorrow, deffo :yes:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Which reminds me, I keep forgetting about chasing up that thing about how you get money because I mentioned your name and shit?

Tomorrow, deffo :yes:

Ah yeah, cause I do need £350 asap. ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    0800 is free.

If I answer and there is someone there, I screw them over.