Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Origins of the "fuck you" V

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so from what I can tell giving people the backwards peace symbole in Europe is essentialy what we would call giving people the "finger" in the States. Basicaly a way of telling someone what you think of them.

What's the story with the V, where did that start? Around these parts it's a way of saying hi, sort of equivalent to giveing someone a nod and a grin.

Comments

• Options
    I heard it was something to do with archers. The enemy used to cut the two fingers they use to shoot off, so they did the V signs before launching a load of arrows at them. But tbh, that sounds like the sort of thing that someone made up afterwards.
  • Options
    It was from when England and France were at war i think (correction if i'm wrong anyone), as the French would cut the two fingers that archers use to pull back the bowstring off of English archers when they caught them. So it was a way of saying "Fuck you, i've still got my fingers" Or so i think.

If that made any sense at all :p
  • Options
  • Options
    guess that makes sense.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That's for the UK as far as I know, not the whole of Europe. Here the "V" sign simply means "two". For example, you can go to a bartender, give him that sign and say "Beer" and he'll give you 2 bottles.
  • Options
    Ok, so from what I can tell giving people the backwards peace symbole in Europe is essentialy what we would call giving people the "finger" in the States. Basicaly a way of telling someone what you think of them.

Its not a peace sign - it was just misappropriated by the peace movement - it actually means V for Victory - which you know means peace but it also means winning and a while lot of killing and stuff first rather than a ceasefire.
  • Options
    It doesn't mean anything in the States either. I tried using it when I worked at camp and everyone was like 'what's that all about (dude)'?
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    It was from when England and France were at war i think (correction if i'm wrong anyone), as the French would cut the two fingers that archers use to pull back the bowstring off of English archers when they caught them. So it was a way of saying "Fuck you, i've still got my fingers" Or so i think.

If that made any sense at all :p

We were told this on a school trip when we were reenacting a battle at our local castle when we were about 11. The teachers split us into two groups/countries and we were running around pretending to be battling. Some dozy teacher gave us permission to do what the tour guide said. It soon stopped the others in their tracks!
  • Options
    the V.

i think this is how it was.

during the 100 year war with france, England was known to have some of the best Long Bow Archers in Europe. and to pull the string back, the archers used the two fore fingers. now to taunt the french, when the french are trying to besiege a castle or sth, the English archers would show them the two fingers in a V sign, to symbolise that they have their fingers to attack the French.
  • Options
    Ha! So you could use it all you wanted and get away with it, I'd love to see the confusion on their faces!

It did cause a lot of confusion. The first time I tried it everyone was like 'why are you saying victory (dude)'? Trying to explain that it was a swear sign was funny, cause over there it's only the one finger that's the rude one. But this is from the country which thinks it's ok to call your 'bum' a 'fanny'.
  • Options
    i mistakenly thopught this was going to be a realy exciting thread where jimmy v was getting some serious shit!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    A rude gesture here (similar to "giving the finger") is this:
    Hold your palm with the fingers straight and spread apart, and have the fingers point to the person you want to insult. Then bend the middle finger by about 90 degrees, and move your hand back and forth in the direction that finger is pointing.