Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

E-bay buyer robbed at gunpoint

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'A Terrifying Ordeal'

A man who tried to buy a car advertised on eBay was robbed at gunpoint when he went to hand over the cash, it is reported.

Shahzad Ali Shah, 23, from Crawley, West Sussex, was told by the seller of a Mercedes Benz Kompressor C180 that a cash purchase would secure him his dream car.

Normally, transactions on eBay - an internet auction site - are done via a secure online payment service, cheque or postal order.

Mr Ali Shah told the Daily Mirror: "The man said if I paid in cash he would not offer it to anyone else.

"He said if I had the cash, the car was available and we could do the deal straight away. I put in an offer for £5,500 and he accepted."

The student agreed to meet the seller in east London and was accompanied by his mother and brother-in-law.

When they arrived, four men got out of a Vauxhall Corsa and surrounded the car, the newspaper reported.

Mr Ali Shah said an Asian man produced a gun, took their car keys and demanded the money for the Mercedes.

He said: "One said 'I'll count to three and if you don't hand over the money I'm going to do something'.

"He started counting and got to two and I shouted at my mum to hand it over. It was a terrifying ordeal."

As well as the cash, a purse and credit cards were reportedly stolen.

An eBay spokesman said it was the first such incident involving website users that he was aware of.

Sky News

Comments

• Options
    oh my god.

i bet that puts more trust into online payment?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The key question is, did he get the car?

:p
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    The key question is, did he get the car?

:p

Nope they turned up in a corsa and he didn't even get that.

Wonder what feedback he left?

'Armed con-man, do not deal with'
  • Options
    Going to East London with more than a tenner?

:no:
  • Options
    Marmite wrote:
    Nope they turned up in a corsa and he didn't even get that.

Wonder what feedback he left?

'Armed con-man, do not deal with'
    :lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Bah. Trick is to go in two cars - one with you, and one with the cash. If you're at all suspicious :).
  • Options
    Should have used paypal.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Paypal for more than a few hundered? I know someone who has sold alot of stuff on Ebay - he has sold cars for Cash before... apparently it's a fairly accepted system.

If I were buying an expensive car on Ebay, for cash, I'd do as said - take a mate in his car following, with the cash. Then if they try to rob me, I have no cash.

I'd also invest in a personal firearm for myself. "Yes, my cash is in the glovebox, one second..." *BANG*

They'd just blame it as a gangland shooting.
  • Options
    Most of us are completely trustworthy - I've bought a few cars for cash, and sold them as well. The guy who bought my Scoob transferred several thousand pounds into my bank account without even seeing the car - trusting fellow! :)
  • Options
    Dodgy situation to put yourself in. I would take two cars as well.