Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GHD's - which ones, and where?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Decided I want some GHD's, as sick of wasting 30mins with my current straightners and achieving nothing.

I have fine hair, which is quite long. I'm going to get a fringe chopped into it soon. I think I'd probably want the thin ones, as I like the fact that you can curl your hair with them, plus there's less of the hot plates for me to burn myself. I may be wrong though, so am open to advice.

Also, where's the best place to get them? - cheaper is good, but not essential. Looking on ebay, but as I'm not familiar with them I could end up with completely the wrong thing.

Thankee.

Comments

• Options
    They are usually about £99 although i'm getting a GHD travel bag soon as my GHD's have broken :(. It includes products etc which i think is much better. Have a look http://www.beautysleuth.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2600&Feed=AdWords&gclid=CMqYh4eS_YYCFTF0MAodgAokKw

I am however getting it at a cheaper price as i know the woman that owns the salon :D
  • Options
    Either local salons, Ebay (a lot of people do new ones with buy it now) or do a Google search, loads of websites sell them

ETA: The really thick ones probably wouldnt be much use, their designed for Afro hair and they cost about 15 more than the normal ones
  • Options
    If you have really long hair, I'd recommend the normal sized ones - I wouldn't recommend the thin ones for everyday, because you'll be there much longer than half an hour.

My hair's fine, and it's down to the small of my back - it takes me about 45 minutes to straighten my hair and I have the normal sized GHD's. I couldn't imagine using the tiny ones :crazyeyes Oh, I bought both of my pairs from a local salon - most hair salons stock GHDs these days (much easier to return if they turn out to be faulty)
  • Options
    Decided I want some GHD's, as sick of wasting 30mins with my current straightners and achieving nothing.

I have fine hair, which is quite long. I'm going to get a fringe chopped into it soon. I think I'd probably want the thin ones, as I like the fact that you can curl your hair with them, plus there's less of the hot plates for me to burn myself. I may be wrong though, so am open to advice.

Also, where's the best place to get them? - cheaper is good, but not essential. Looking on ebay, but as I'm not familiar with them I could end up with completely the wrong thing.

Thankee.

I'm going to be in the minority here but I dont care for GHDs, they are totally overpriced and you can get the same results with other brands.

I have the thin remington 3x protection straighteners and they are great, they only cost me about £35 from currys I think. I have curlyish hair and most straighteners dont work for me but these are perfect and my hair stays straight all day. You can also use them for curling.
  • Options
    I'm going to be in the minority here but I dont care for GHDs, they are totally overpriced and you can get the same results with other brands.

they're not overpriced at all imo. the cheaper brands do fuck all for my hair where as ghds go a good job.
  • Options
    they're not overpriced at all imo. the cheaper brands do fuck all for my hair where as ghds go a good job.

Fair enough, but IMO they are overpriced when a pair half the price do the same if not better job. Then again everyone's hair is different so I suppose it is trial and error.
  • Options
    With GHD's, I can straighten my hair once, and it last for around 3 days, sometimes more. With any other straightener, they work well - but I'll have to straighten it again the next day, because it doesn't last.
    To be able to straighten my hair once is 3 days, is worth £99 to me, because I'd HATE to have to do it every day.
  • Options
    Ilora, surely it doesnt last after washing your hair??!
  • Options
    I don't wash my hair everyday - I'd have no life :lol:
    I wash my hair every other day, but can get away with 2/3 days without washing and it still looks immaculate and straight.
  • Options
    So thats why I have no life, because I'm clean and bathe every day. It all makes sense now :chin: Are you sure your hair isn't straight in the end of your half a week of uncleanliness because of all the grease sweat and dirt holding it down?

And on the subject of GHD's I'm with remote. Never heard of GHD but my $20 conair turn my impressive afro striaght. Too straight if I have it more than half power. Until I shower of course.
  • Options
    You've misunderstood me my_name - I simply meant, I'd have no life because it takes me hours to wash/condition/dry/straighten my hair, so if I was to do it every day I'd have no time left!! Tis all! I wasn't implying anything by that :thumb:
  • Options
    I wouldnt go for GHDs, i would go for the remingtons (sp?) i love them! They are as good as the GHDs and they cost much less!
  • Options
    I wouldnt go for GHDs, i would go for the remingtons (sp?) i love them! They are as good as the GHDs and they cost much less!

Again, it's all to do with what your hair suits. I've trialed and errored so many different straighteners, and GHD's are the only ones to do anything remotely useful for my hair!

I got mine from ebay :)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So thats why I have no life, because I'm clean and bathe every day.

I dont wash my hair everyday, but im clean - i wash myself everyday but not my hair as it doesnt need washing everyday - thatd probably damage it, my hair only needs washing every 5 days due to its thickness....and like llora, as its so thick and long it would take me certainly a lot of the day to wash/condition/dry/straighten everyday

I dont think GHD's are a waste of money at all, though as has been said before all hair is different and if you can use the cheaper ones with same results then good for you!

Kate.....if I were you i would get the normal size ones as you say you have long hair, theyre normally £90-£110 and can get them from most hairdressers, a lot of places on the web, or from ebay/amazon!
  • Options
    i have to wash my hair every other day and straighten it every day. it takes around 35 minutes from wet to err..straight (drying and straightening).