Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Frying vegetables

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Couldn't figure where to put this question, but as it's about healthy food I figured here, sorry if i'm wrong.

Anyway, simple enough, im frying onions, mushrooms and peppers later on tonight and if someone could just tell me how long I should cook each one for before I add the next to the frying pan, if you get my drift. And what heat setting would be about right for the hob (it's electric).

I have done this before but the onions never turn out right, they're either overdone or underdone.

Maybe i just suck at cooking.

Comments

• Options
    id do the onions a bit longer than the others, depending on how you like them, and i would always fry stuff like that on high, unless i was using the onions in a sauce where i just wanted them softened, in which case id do them on low for longer. Its not gonna matter too much though, theyre only vegetables and youre not gonna get food poisioning or anything so just do them till they look ok, and dont use too much oil - just a little bit.
  • Options
    I do on a low heat for a longer period (till the end then give a quick blast). I dont like hard veggies so thats why i do em slow.
    So anyways for me they'd be cooked for about 10/15 mins on low then blasted (and keep stiring) for about 1 min.
    Id cook them all together for the same amount of time. I also test as they are cooking, just so I know that they are cooked to perfection (worra good excuse to pick at the food eh) lol
  • Options
    If you insist on frying, try a 'fat in a can' type spray instead of using oils - it's only 1 calorie a spray and works just as well as oils. Piccy you can get it from most supermarkets. :thumb: :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah i always have to use about 20 sprays of that stuff, and its all water, artificial additives and emulsifiers anyway - its a con. A teaspoon of sunflower oil has about 40 cals and isnt actually unhealthy, plus its a fraction of the price.
  • Options
    olive oil is also healthier and tastier than that manufactured artificial crap in a can.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replys, i'm gonna follow beckyboo's way, I don't want hard veg cuz they're going in fajihtas.

And I have no problem with using normal oil, fat content doesn't worry me if it's healthy real food. Plus all those products that replace the real thing (like the oil, and that fake sugar crap) are just made up of chemicals, and that's what I'm really trying to avoid.