Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stolen camera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in the USA and I had my new digital camera stolen while I was at a drunken frat party thing. Very stupid yes. Very annoying also.

I've read through my insurance and I'm covered for theft of items up to 200 quid (where is the pound sign on stupid american keyboards?!).

Anyway, I'm gonna have to report to police and have some full-proof story for the insurance company other than 'it was stolen while I was drunk at a party'.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could say so the insurance company don't have any come-backs to screw me.

Comments

• Options
    I'd say it was picked from your pocket whilst you were walking, and you don't know where. Don't be too specific.
  • Options
    Make a report to the local police too and get some kind of ref no., as the insurance will want to see it.
  • Options
    Update.

I'm filing a claim at the moment. I have the police reports, receipts etc.

I'm just saying it was pick-pocketed whilst walking in a busy area of the city I was in.

On the forms it asks for 'name and address of your household contents insurers' and the policy number. I'm just wondering if I need this filled in, like is it an important part? Because I don't have household contents insurance myself in Edinburgh, but my family home in Ireland is covered. Should I use those details or will it have no bearing on my claim anyway? Just wondering why they ask for it?
  • Options
    I presume it means the details of the insurer you are claiming against.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    what exactly is your policy for? is it just the camera?
    i would say, if it is, you should just put that policy number down, and the address the policy is registered to. its that policy that you are wanting to make a claim on, so its them details they need.
    just out of curiousity, who are you insured with?
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    what exactly is your policy for? is it just the camera?
    i would say, if it is, you should just put that policy number down, and the address the policy is registered to. its that policy that you are wanting to make a claim on, so its them details they need.
    just out of curiousity, who are you insured with?

It's travel insurance with Endsleigh. I'm covered for theft of luggage. That's who I'm sending the forms to.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    It's travel insurance with Endsleigh. I'm covered for theft of luggage. That's who I'm sending the forms to.
    woo woo thats where i work!! hehe!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    woo woo thats where i work!! hehe!

haha. so what's my chances of getting any money you reckon? :chin:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    haha. so what's my chances of getting any money you reckon? :chin:
    if its anything like my pay, i wouldnt hold your breath! :p
    nah theyre not normally too bad, dont work in claims myself, but never seems to be too many complaints coming through about them, only really when people think they have a policy and try to make a claim to discover it lapsed 5 years ago :rolleyes:
    you should be ok, let me know how it goes!
  • Options
    *update*

Got a cheque from Endlseigh yesterday, for £234.88 :)

That's more or less the full value of the camera new. It was bought in PC world, and I might actually be able to replace it for quite a bit less than that on ebay.

On a sidenote Endsleigh made quite a big dispatch error and have sent me two other people's cheques in the same envelope as mine! So Mr Farrugio and Miss Wright are going to have to wait on their £6.73 and £59.01 respectively.
  • Options
    Someone made a claim for £6.73??? :eek2:
  • Options
    Someone made a claim for £6.73??? :eek2:

I know! Mr Farrugio must be hard up.

Sent them back off to Endlseigh today after giving them a call explaining.

They were just like "ummm, could you please send them back?"

It's a good job they handled my claim well and settled with me nicely, otherwise I might not have been so co-operative. ;)
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    £6.73

:lol:

Well, I suppose if you're covered for it...
  • Options
    Ever thought it could have been a greater amount, with the excess taken off

or extra money that they owed?
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    So Mr Farrugio and Miss Wright are going to have to wait on their £6.73 and £59.01 respectively.

Dear Mr Farrugio,

In respect of your claim for a replacement leather jockstrap, i'm afraid i can only recompense you £6.73p due to the excessive wear and tear of the garment. I also enclose a cheque for Miss Wright for £59.99p (less 98p for contributary negligence) for her Anne Summers peek-a-boo baby doll night dress. May i take this chance to advise you to be more careful with the donkey next time.

Yours sincerely,

Endsleigh Inssurance.