Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pregnancy test - when to take it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am slightly confused at when you can take a test. I want to take a test - just for my own piece of mind, but I have took my pill back to back (just started the second packet), so when should I take it?? Im worried about what I did 1 month ago (just after I came off my break), so can I take a test?? It normally says after a missed period, but I aint missed one!! Also I am going to stop taking the pill till I know for sure, but the pill wont mess the result up?? BTW Im on Microgynon.

Thanks peeps

Comments

• Options
    What Im trying to get at is - can I take a test now?? even though I havent had a peiod??? If I did concieve then it was about a month ago.

Thanks
  • Options
    Ive got the same worry at the moment. I got 3 tests and i took one about 2 weeks ago. Im going to take another one 4 days before im due on and then if i dont come on im going to take another test after that but im sure that it doesnt really matter when you take the test.

Boots had an offer of by one get one on the tests i bought (first response) so it would probably be a good idea to get 2 or 3 just to be sure.
  • Options
    You can also get packs of two for 99p from Savers.
  • Options
    You should be able to test now.
  • Options
    Periods on the pill are slightly strange things, they are not necessarily related to ovulating or anything sensible like that.

If it was a month ago you should be able to do the test now and get a good result, you don't need to come off microgyn to do it, shouldn't affect the results in anyway.

They work best if you do them first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Briony and Netty

Brook, which provides free and confidential sexual health advice to young people, has some information about pregnancy tests. Their website says:
    Most pregnancy tests state that they work as soon as a period is late (i.e. one day). Most women do not continue to have normal periods when pregnant but some may experience lighter/shorter periods. And for women who do not have a regular cycle it can be difficult to know when a period is due. So it is best to take the test three weeks after having unprotected sex (as this is roughly how long it will take for the hormone levels to show up on the test).
    If the test is negative, but you don't have a period, you should take a second test a week later. If you want more information, you could try ringing Brook's helpline on 0800 0185 023 (M-F, 9a-5p), or submit a question on our askTheSite service.

All the best!
  • Options
    Thanks guys, another question -

I came of the pill for abit incase I was pregnant, but now I am on a period! came on this morning, is ir just normal withdrawal bleeding?? I spoke to my mate today and she said the bledding may be withdrawal bleeding but she did bleed when he had her 1st kid, so that made me really worried. I havent told my fella cos he's away with work and I cant about this stuff over the phone! Family has gone on holiday, and my mate is going on hol saturday, so I've no-one to talk to.

I'm gonna do a test tomorrow, is it worth it tho??? When I started bleeding, I thought it was an early period and nothing to worry about! I've never had withdrawal bleeding, just heard about it so I guess its quite common!

Sorry for all the questions!:angel: :flirt: