Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

µtorrent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I took note of some reccomendations on here and decided to scrap my old bit torrent client and try µtorrent.

However!! my downloads seem to be taking forever, and im not sure how to make them faster.

HOw do you decrease the upload rate and increase the download rate? any ideas why its being slow?

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    why would you want to decrease your upload rate?
  • Options
    and more to the point, how did you type that little wierd u thing?
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Kids these days. That's a greek letter, Mu, on a uk keyboard it's probably a copy and paste jobby, but as I understand it, french keyboards actually have them.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    why would you want to decrease your upload rate?
    why does that matter?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    and more to the point, how did you type that little wierd u thing?
    character map
  • Options
    what was your previous client?
    bittorrent
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    why does that matter?

Because it sounds like you think by decreasing the uploading rate you can then achieve a faster download rate when this is not the case. Isn't utorrent a trial and then you have to pay for it? if so it may be something to do with restrictions. Im not familiar with that client so i do not know how to manually change the settings. Have you had a look in the options your self?
  • Options
    try azureus :thumb:

Im quite happy to bear with this one for now, as people rated it well, I just want to increase my download speed and decrease the upload speed until its downloaded
  • Options
    Also decreasing the upload speed makes you a bad seeder.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Because it sounds like you think by decreasing the uploading rate you can then achieve a faster download rate when this is not the case. Isn't utorrent a trial and then you have to pay for it? if so it may be something to do with restrictions. Im not familiar with that client so i do not know how to manually change the settings. Have you had a look in the options your self?
    Yeh ive had a play around with the options

im no techie so i thought that decreasing the upload rate would allow faster download rates, just made logical sense in my mind :confused:
  • Options
    Unless any1 on here is familiar with this client i suggest maybe you change so you can achieve the speeds you want.
  • Options
    also used to denote the unit "micro" in measurements, eg. microfarad (µF) etc.
    Also the symbol of dynamic viscosity in fluid mechanics, and in statistics used to denote the mean. (I think)

It's still the greek letter Mu though.
  • Options
    utorrent allows you to control total up and download rates through the preferences. If you are getting very slow speeds it's likely to be one of two things

1. Your upload rate is maxed out.
    In ALL bittorrent applications there needs to be a little bit of room in the upload rate so that the client can find the next pieces to download. Head over to http://www.adslguide.org.uk/speedtest.asp and run the speed test. You should limit your upload to 70-80% of the speed shown.

By the way the results are in megabytes not bits - so divide the result by 8 to get your maximum kb upload (the value used in torrent files)

2. utorrent is being blocked by a firewall - the best solution to this will be to head over to some torrent sites forums and look for advice on the client. However if bittorrent was working, it's unlikely this is happening.

Test your speeds carefully - try finding some hugely seeded files and downloading them one at a time, that way you should be able to see if there is a problem. I've found utorrent to be irritating when dealing with more than 3 simulateous downloads.

Give that a try anyway and let us know.
  • Options
    I use uTorrent occasionally. i always seem to upload more than i download easily. i havnt figured out which setting to tweak yet, but i want to limit the upload figure to equal what i have downloaded.

i can sometimes get feeds of 40kbs but i've never had greater than that, with any torrent service/site. ofcourse the upstream is always at maximum figure available
  • Options
    I'd hope I was right, I'm an engineer.
  • Options
    why are you talking about greek letters :(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    why are you talking about greek letters :(
    Γιατί έτσι θέλουν. :p
  • Options
    Γιατί έτσι θέλουν. :p

Around 6pm sound good for you?
  • Options
    I can never seem to get more thab 66kb on any tracker :(
  • Options
    i often get 110 or so kb/s
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Around 6pm sound good for you?
    Hm?
  • Options
    try azureus :thumb:

trust me, utorrent is a much better client compared to azureus.

for one thing its not made in java.