Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Top Gear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So...i'm just wondering, what do you guys in the UK (and other countries) think of Top Gear? I personally think its awesome...although this is only the second season that they've shown here in Australia. I hear its finished up in the UK for this season, sadly, but i'm glad that its back on in Australia...its my favourite TV show. :) There are other car shows, yes, but none of them other than Top Gear do things like racing peoplemovers, or taking a Honda Element around to a bowls club to see if Honda's finally made a car that's "cool", or driving a Rolls Royce into a swimming pool, or playing soccer with the new Toyota compact, or...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It's the only show that can get away with slagging off cars without risking upsetting the advertisers. It's the best programme on TV. Even people that don't like cars seem to love it.
  • Options
    I love it.
  • Options
    Top Gear is the best comedy on TV. Well it might as well be :p I've never laughed as much as when i watch Top Gear :D

It's a quality tv program and something that makes the license fee worth paying just to see it.
  • Options
    You have to pay to watch it? I thought BBC was free to air?

Either way, if you do, damn...that sucks. :( Here in Australia its on free-to-air TV (SBS), although i'd be more than happy to get Pay TV just to watch Top Gear if i had to rofl.
  • Options
    T'is fantastic!
  • Options
    I remember the time when Clarkson and Hammond were talking about the new Mazda and they started to talk about hiennas and dogs, clrkson said that Hyenas were front wheel drive and the rear legs are just to keep it's ass off the floor. And then Hammond said that cats are good for drifting and when they get chased by dogs the dogs over steer into the corner, which is fun of course, and then Clarkson said that Hyena's problem is that it understeers which is not good so it's more fun when you are a dog and oversteering, therefore the mazda is good coz it's rear wheel drive....

You have to see it really!!

Anyway, Top Gear Number 1!!!
  • Options
    You have to pay to watch it? I thought BBC was free to air?

Oh goodness, no.

The license fee costs £130 a year (about AUS$300), and if you don't pay it, you get sent to prison!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    The license fee costs £130 a year (about AUS$300), and if you don't pay it, you get sent to prison!

If you don't pay it whilst owning a telly you get sent to prison.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Quality tv. Guaranteed to make me piss myself everytime i watch it.
  • Options
    I love the show ... I will probably never be able to afford even one of most of the cars they review but the irreverence, banter and general format makes it well worth watching. And to think that they actually get PAID (and lots of it) to do the show ... some people have all the luck! :lol:
  • Options
    i love the show, watch it all the time, tis well funny, loved the caravaning holiday:lol:
  • Options
    Oh my, the caravaning was hilarious.

I love cars and LOVE Top Gear. :D
  • Options
    So...i'm just wondering, what do you guys in the UK (and other countries) think of Top Gear? I personally think its awesome...although this is only the second season that they've shown here in Australia. I hear its finished up in the UK for this season, sadly, but i'm glad that its back on in Australia...its my favourite TV show. :) There are other car shows, yes, but none of them other than Top Gear do things like racing peoplemovers, or taking a Honda Element around to a bowls club to see if Honda's finally made a car that's "cool", or driving a Rolls Royce into a swimming pool, or playing soccer with the new Toyota compact, or...

Since they've taken it from a 30 minute show to a full 1 hour show it's become very entertaining - however it's very, very highly scripted... which is probably why it works so well, jokes are planned in advanced, with some zanny and unexpected things happening on the show.

I like the way they alway tease each other the show is vey entertaining

The only thing I cannot stand is clarkson on paper - try reading one of his reviews inthe Times and you'll be lucky if 30% of it is actually about the car he's supposed to be reviewing, rather then the last dinner party he went to.