Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Studentships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is probably a waste of time as terms and conditions of different studentships are likely to be different, but as I don't want to bug the finance office/the lovely postgrad secretary of my dept at this silly time of year I thought I'd bring my question to the boards....

Do studentships increase annually? The (departmental) studentship I received last year for the first year of my MPhil/PhD was £9,500 plus research expenses, whereas the ones that are being advertised for this coming academic year are £12,300!! Am I in line for a rise too, or is it my bad that I started 2005/2006?

I don't mind not being rich, but it's tricky to survive with £9.5k in London, even with my admin job for pocket money.....

Cheers folks :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    I know it's fairly different, but my IMEchE award is staying at the same level (£600) although the ones being advertised for this years intake are £1000, so don't get your hoeps up.
  • Options
    You're right, payment levels are dependant on the source of funding, probably research council like EPSRC. Most stipends will increase by small amount annually (inflation?) like so ...

http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/PostgraduateTraining/InformationForStudents/default.htm

It's not bad really... Especially if you consider stipend is tax tree and if your tutition fees are cover too then it's like earning an equivalent of ~£19k (25% tax/N.I. and ~£3k tution fees).

Sophia are you a PhD student too?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I know it's fairly different, but my IMEchE award is staying at the same level (£600) although the ones being advertised for this years intake are £1000, so don't get your hoeps up.

Cheers, I just wanted to know what others' experience of this are, as Sheffield's not the best at communication and I expect I won't find out until I go along to register.

Sophia - yes it would be easier to give them a buzz, but that won't change whatever the answer is, so I'll give them an easy life and let it be a surprise next month! If Scary Monster's experience is anything to go by I won't get the £12.3k, but hey...I was just living in hope that the uni may have decided to put everything up to research council levels ;) We'll see and I'll keep you posted.

It is a bit annoying that I wasn't told anything about how it works. I'm hoping that they learn to do BACs this year (last year I had to travel up to Sheffield to collect the cheque each quarter and if I was in town a couple of days early to see my supervisor or whatever, they couldn't print it out early, despite the date on the cheque being printed) and have been told nothing about whether the amount stays the same, rises with inflation or whatever. Heigh ho!

ETA: My money comes directly from the history department; I have no idea whether their money in turn comes from AHRC or not (possibly because that's the research council it's linked with: I got my AHRC grant application rejected though) but the studentship's well below AHRC levels, even for outside London. I'd be screwed if I didn't work part time.
  • Options
    Make a point of asking your supervisor about this, there maybe some possibility that you can at least receive same money as AHRC offers. I suspect that your money will orginate from AHRC, maybe in the form of a large grant to your department. Try looking it up on their website:

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/awards/search_results.asp?institution=128
  • Options
    Knobbbly wrote:
    I suspect that your money will orginate from AHRC, maybe in the form of a large grant to your department. Try looking it up on their website:

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/awards/search_results.asp?institution=128

Thanks for the list: I doubt it was part of a project grant though as the competition wasn't restricted in subject-matter.

Although I was disturbed to see that someone had been given a hefty grant to research 'The Music of Bjork' :eek2: I'm sure my research on the growth of communities in post-WW2 German refugee camps is much more worthy of funding :grump: :p