Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cold water

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I have a few pitchers of water in the fridge. I've noticed that if I pour water from one in a glass, and keep it out of the fridge for a couple of minutes before drinking it, it feels a lot more refreshing than when I drink it right away. Why is that?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because really cold water shocks the body, it doesn't like it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Because really cold water shocks the body, it doesn't like it.
    Define "really cold"... I don't think it's so much cold, even if straight from the fridge.
  • Options
    Straight from the fridge is cold enough to shock the system. think about it you're 37degrees, the water is 4 or 5 degrees, 10 at the most. That's a big enough temperature difference.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Straight from the fridge is cold enough to shock the system. think about it you're 37degrees, the water is 4 or 5 degrees, 10 at the most. That's a big enough temperature difference.
    I don't really know what temprature the water is or any way to tell, but I guess that makes sense.
  • Options
    Yeah. In fact your body tends to react to cold shock by trying to warm you up. Which is why in summer iced drinks don't actually help all that much.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yeah. In fact your body tends to react to cold shock by trying to warm you up. Which is why in summer iced drinks don't actually help all that much.
    Yeah, that's true. Thanks for the reply.
    And nice to see you're not refusing to speak to me now.