Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"medium or large?"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went to a bagel shop yesterday for lunch and order a nice bagel with chicken breasts and salad...mmmmmm. When the Counter Girl asks me what size drink I want, I say, "small."

"We don't serve small, we only have medium or large."

Not being a nit, I get the medium. But then I begin thinking...

"We don't serve small, we only have medium or large."

WTF???

No, Sunshine, you don't serve "medium and large," you serve small and large. See, when there's only two sizes, one of them can't be a medium.

me·di·um ( P ) Pronunciation Key (md-m)
n. pl. me·di·a (-d-) or me·di·ums
Something, such as an intermediate course of action, that occupies a position or represents a condition midway between extremes.

Comments

• Options
    It is possible that there exists a smaller, and hence 'small' portion size...but they just don't sell it. 'Small', 'medium' and 'large' are based on their opinion of portion sizes, and are therefore arbitrary terms anyway.

An analogy. There are two people stood in a room with me. One is tall, and one is of medium height. I don't call the shorter one 'small', just because he is smaller than the other one. The terms are based purely on what my idea of 'small' is - not a comparison to anything else around at that point.
  • Options
    who gives a flying fuck/
  • Options
    youre right!

Burn the shop down!
  • Options
    The OP does have a point. Most of the drinks that a number of places say are "medium" are actually small. They just don't like to use the word small, which is just stupid.
  • Options
    fact, it's part of the psycology of commerce.
  • Options
    Surely it would have to be "regular" and "large"... how can there be a medium when there's no small?

Why do I care? :confused:
  • Options
    Well wine glasses come in small, medium and large, but most places don't serve small. Maybe it's the same as that.
  • Options
    When I finally open up my own eating establishment, the cup sizes will be 'cheap skate', 'scared of what the others diners think and 'You greedy bastard'.

You'll get the same volume of liquid regardless but the cup will be a different size.

I'm gambling on people being morons.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 has the right answer to this. A friend once told me that Starbucks are even more pedantic about their drink sizes, but I haven't visited one in years so don't remember...
  • Options
    Mc'Donalds only have medium and large meals. Haha.

Its silly really because surely there would be an increase in the sales of large meals if they used the word small?
  • Options
  • Options
    they sud hav 3 sizes really the goverment are crying bout ppl comin obese well when u cnat buy small no wonder ppl are gettin fat including me
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:
    they sud hav 3 sizes really the goverment are crying bout ppl comin obese well when u cnat buy small no wonder ppl are gettin fat including me

You do realise that, when you buy a "medium" meal, you are getting the exact same thing as if you bought a meal that was called a "small" meal?

If you're getting fat and don't like it it's not because of how a place names its extra value meal, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    ok i guess what i should actually be pissed off about is,

the girl should have given me the smallest size cup available when i asked for a small, it's freakin retarded to ask medium or large again when i said small already.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    who gives a flying fuck/
    I'm sure your original post was slightly different :p