Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bladder Infection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

Tonight i have came to the conclusion that i have a bladder infection.

Iv'e had one before about 2 years ago and it hurts to urinate and have that feeling alot of the time, in fact staright after being to the toilet.

However this time (sorry to be graphic) when i wipe it's a light red colour, has anyone else experienced this? I have read it is common however it worried me.

Think i will have to wait until Saturday to see a doctor too :( I hate this.

Comments

• Options
    I got bladder infections regularly for a bit a while ago. I got a big schpeal from my mom about one she had. Apperantly if its bad enough you can have blood in your urine. If you can get in earlier, I wouldn't wait until saturday. They can become very painful and in some cases take months of antibiotics to cure.

While your waiting drink plenty of cranberry juice. Its a diuretic and can help flush things out.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I got bladder infections regularly for a bit a while ago. I got a big schpeal from my mom about one she had. Apperantly if its bad enough you can have blood in your urine. If you can get in earlier, I wouldn't wait until saturday. They can become very painful and in some cases take months of antibiotics to cure.

While your waiting drink plenty of cranberry juice. Its a diuretic and can help flush things out.

When i had one last time, i stupidly waited 2 weeks before having the never to go to a doctor, i haven't a clue how i managed but it only took a coulpld of days to clear up.

I don't think i can get an appointment for tomorrow and i live about 10 miles from the doctors with no transport. Usually there is a saturday thing that anyone can go to in the morning without having an appointment, i thought i could go to that.

I'm not close to my parents so i feel embarssed bringing it up to them.
  • Options
    Well if its new I'm sure it will be soon to clear up :) Just thought I'd give my scary warning ;) I just hope it doesn't get too painful for you! Saturday should be fine. Don't eat anything spicy either... learnd that one the hard say :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Well if its new I'm sure it will be soon to clear up :) Just thought I'd give my scary warning ;) I just hope it doesn't get too painful for you! Saturday should be fine. Don't eat anything spicy either... learnd that one the hard say :p

Thanks, it's getting to sleep i'm worried about! I feel like i'm bursting now but i know there is nothing there :(

Hopefully i can ring up and enquire about the Saturday surgery and if i'm correct, get my boyfriend to give up his lay in and take me over there!

No indian take aways this weekend then :p

Infections like this should be banned :crying:
  • Options
    Are you not able to go to the chemist adn ask them about it? Drinks lots.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Hey,

Tonight i have came to the conclusion that i have a bladder infection.

Iv'e had one before about 2 years ago and it hurts to urinate and have that feeling alot of the time, in fact staright after being to the toilet.

However this time (sorry to be graphic) when i wipe it's a light red colour, has anyone else experienced this? I have read it is common however it worried me.

Think i will have to wait until Saturday to see a doctor too :( I hate this.
    Yes I've had similar problems. I would advise you to go to the doctor as soon as possible as the longer you leave it the worse it can get and it can spread from your bladder to your kidneys quite quickly (as I have learnt the hard way). Also blood in your urine can be due to other reasons so you need to see a doctor.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Are you not able to go to the chemist adn ask them about it? Drinks lots.

Not really, same problem, no transport. I thought you had to give a urine sample for bladder infections anyway? Can chemists give out antibiotics if you describe something to them or do they do tests too?
  • Options
    Not too sure, but I think a few years ago, I went down to the chemists due to some sort of medical problem and they were able to give me something for it.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Yes I've had similar problems. I would advise you to go to the doctor as soon as possible as the longer you leave it the worse it can get and it can spread from your bladder to your kidneys quite quickly (as I have learnt the hard way). Also blood in your urine can be due to other reasons so you need to see a doctor.

What other reasons? Sounds worrying now.

It has said on many websites that it is common and last time i had the one the doctor did say there was a little bit of blood present too.

I wish i didn't live in the middle of no where!
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Not really, same problem, no transport. I thought you had to give a urine sample for bladder infections anyway? Can chemists give out antibiotics if you describe something to them or do they do tests too?
    To get the anti-biotics you need a doctor but a chemists can sell "relief" products to ease the burning sensation. If you have any Bicarbonate of Soda at home you can use this to reduce the acidity of your urine so it hurts less (dissolve 1 tsp in water and take 3-4 times per day) but you still need to see the doctor especially because you have blood in the urine.
  • Options
    If it worries you that much and is really causing you problems, then call NHS Direct.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    To get the anti-biotics you need a doctor but a chemists can sell "relief" products to ease the burning sensation. If you have any Bicarbonate of Soda at home you can use this to reduce the acidity of your urine so it hurts less (dissolve 1 tsp in water and take 3-4 times per day) but you still need to see the doctor especially because you have blood in the urine.

Ok, well maybe i will have to brave it and tell my mum that i need to go to the doctors, i just hate saying it, last time i needed to go, she went white in the face and was like you aren't pregnant are you.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    What other reasons? Sounds worrying now.

It has said on many websites that it is common and last time i had the one the doctor did say there was a little bit of blood present too.
    Don't stress, it almost always is just due to a urine infection. But you still need to get checked out!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Don't stress, it almost always is just due to a urine infection. But you still need to get checked out!

Thanks, i will have to tell my mum tomorrow and see if i can get an appointment that day, it's open till 6.30 so hopefully they will have time to fit me in.

Sometimes they ask if it is urgent, i just never know whether this would be classed as that or not.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone i went to the doctors this morning and she said there was a slignt infection and gave me some antibiotics so hopefully il be okay in a day or two :)
  • Options
    Hope you feel better soon :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Hope you feel better soon :)

Me too :D Thank you
  • Options
    Excelent, good to hear its nice and simple :)