Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Soyamilk/Ricemilk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Trying to cut out dairy from my diet, to see what effect it has. Was just wondering what's healthier, rice- or soyamilk, if anybody knows?

Comments

• Options
    Not too sure if you can get ricemilk with added vitamins in, but I know that soya milk has some in. (not sure this is what you're after though)
  • Options
    Rice milk is nicer. Soya is just plain ming
  • Options
    Zella - is that with or without apple juice? (that sounds really wrong!)
  • Options
    I looove rice milk, and soya milk on porridge is delicious. Neither are bad for you, though I'm not sure which is "better" in specific dietary terms.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I looove rice milk, and soya milk on porridge is delicious. Neither are bad for you, though I'm not sure which is "better" in specific dietary terms.

My mom got me a soyamilk with vanilla which was quite nice. And the ricemilk tastes about the same as that.
    Since their taste is equal I was just wondering if anybody knew which contains most vitamins/least fat.
  • Options
    Surely the fat content, etc would depend on the brand?
  • Options
    Well when you go buy some you could read the nutrition information on them. Or even do it yourself online. :shocking:

http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdescriptions/soymilk.html
    http://www.publix.com/wellness/notes/Display.do?id=Food_Guide&childId=Rice_Milk
    http://www.google.com/ :shocking:
  • Options
    Why don't we just reply to everyone who asks a question, "Google it!"?
    I asked a question, wondering if anyone had any useful info when choosing which kind of milk to get - it's a reasonable question and if you don't like it, then simply don't answer.

But yeah, thanks for the links.
  • Options
    @! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'd hazard a guess that ricemilk is healthier, purely because a lot of the soya milk brands that big supermarkets carry are sweetened.

Though if you're buying from a health food store or similar you'd probably be able to find healthy-choice/untampered with options of both :)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    @! :rolleyes:

I am thankful for the links you provided, just not the attitude that came along with it.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize you could understand my attitude via typing. I hope you didn't catch my illness and pure boredness as thats the only "attitude" I bring with me.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'd hazard a guess that ricemilk is healthier, purely because a lot of the soya milk brands that big supermarkets carry are sweetened.

Though if you're buying from a health food store or similar you'd probably be able to find healthy-choice/untampered with options of both :)

Yeah, or I'll try to ask if they know.
    Just kind of searching for a comparison, as when looking up one or the other they just write the good points, and I don't really get to see which is better.
  • Options
    Soya can help reduce the risk of breast cancer.

Just check that whichever you get isn't pumped full of sugary crap to make it taste better.

:)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Soya can help reduce the risk of breast cancer.

Just check that whichever you get isn't pumped full of sugary crap to make it taste better.

:)

Cool, good to know! Thanks :)
  • Options
    If your male, stay away from soya milk. It contains estrogen.
  • Options
    There's also the environmental issue to consider. I don't know much about it, or whether soya milk is a particular culprit, but there have been massive concerns about the way the Amazon rainforests are being destroyed by soya farming, particularly by big food giants.

This comes from a Guardian article:

"According to Greenpeace, public and indigenous land is being seized by farmers using bulldozers and even slave labour. Last year more than 25,000 sq kilometres (10,000 sq miles) of Amazon forest were felled, largely for soya farming."

If you're concerned about the health/enviornmental impact of GM crops, soya is also one of the US's main GM crops:

Soil association link
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Yeah this is true. When I read about it, I was kinda freaked. But then again, I remember reading that the water supply is contaminated with estrogen too.

I always buy the soya/rice drink that contains the added vitamins. I dont mind the ones with added sugar, because the actual amount of sugar is comparable to that found in milk, roughly 2g-3g/100ml
  • Options
    I am having to cut down dairy, too, and I do not like soya milk :grump:

Just a bit of a moan. I'm annoyed about it.
  • Options
    Yeah this is true. When I read about it, I was kinda freaked. But then again, I remember reading that the water supply is contaminated with estrogen too.

I always buy the soya/rice drink that contains the added vitamins. I dont mind the ones with added sugar, because the actual amount of sugar is comparable to that found in milk, roughly 2g-3g/100ml
    My water is brita filtered. :razz:
  • Options
    i prefer soya milk to rice milk
    rice milk tastes nicer if you drink it on its own tho'
    but i always think of it as soya = protein. rice = carbs. ~ so i like soya better
    you can also get oat milk ... :)
  • Options
    When I used to drink loads of soya, I used to drink chocolate flavor. :yum:

Then my nipples became tender & I realized that the soy was affecting me. :grump:
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I've heard that.

I alternate between soya milk and rice milk, although I think the latter tastes nicer.