Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scottish sword ban

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Once again, the Scottish executive has proved how reactionary it is by banning the sale of swords, to cut down on crime. Honestly, how many crimes are cimmited with swords, these days?
This legislation is only going to cause bother for genuine collectors, while the neds simply carry on as normal. Why could they not simply raise the age for buying swords (and knives) to 18 or even 21 and allow only licensed vendors to sell them?
Fortunately for me, re-enactment swords will not be covered by the ban.

Another issue is, what about boy scouts, divers, fishermen, etc who use knives legitimately and who will also find themselves inconvenienced by anti-knife legislation?

Comments

• Options
    Fucked up! Was going to buy an antique sabre in Edinburgh next month. :no:

To be honest, I have seen swords being pulled before, know a few people who own them for non-ornamental purposes and have heard of other incidents, so it's not that uncommon. Still, you can't ban everything which can be conceivably used as a weapon - this goes way too far.
  • Options
    More proof that the Scottish Executive is a waste of space I think. It won't cut crime but then I suppose it gives the impression that the Scottish Executive is doing something rather than merely being a pointless expense.
  • Options
    This is just the first part of the plan. The second part is to invade and conquer Scotland when they only have pitchforks and sharpened twigs to defend themselves, like Braveheart.
  • Options
    :lol: can you picture some guy in a ski mask trying to knock over a 7 Eleven with a sword?

What a useless piece of legislation.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol: can you picture some guy in a ski mask trying to knock over a 7 Eleven with a sword?

What a useless piece of legislation.

What are you on about? I often hold up my local Spar with my Claymore, it is a fine claymore, crafted with the best steel. Once a till worker would hand over the loot, so I took her head clean off!

Haha!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    What are you on about? I often hold up my local Spar with my Claymore, it is a fine claymore, crafted with the best steel. Once a till worker would hand over the loot, so I took her head clean off!

Haha!
    :lol:

I'm just say'n, it's hard to take someone who's trying to look tough while holding a sword these days.

big 'ol sword vs. a 40cal revolver... I think they settled that one in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
  • Options

No pictures of the attack, but there's an article

Yes it's an overreaction, no different to the ban on handguns really.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe they're afraid of a Sith invasion. The Sith, like the Jedi, can deflect bullets with their swords and so they'd be untouchable.
  • Options
    Maybe they're afraid of a Sith invasion. The Sith, like the Jedi, can deflect bullets with their swords and so they'd be untouchable.
    we joke now. But once we're all working in the Sith acid mines we'll be singing a different tune.
  • Options
    This is just the executive showing more prejudice towards immortals. If they can't have a good sword fight and lop some heads off, we'll never get closer to the end of times.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!