Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Implications of truce for Israel

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The fact that Israel has failed in its objective to crush Hezbollah and failed in its military goals, this must give the Arab world some confidence that with coordinated effort, Israel is very defeatable in spite of their advanced technology (nuclear weapons aside).

Do you think that this 'virtual defeat' may actually be a wakeup call to Israel that in order to survive, they may now need to actively compromise and come up with a permanent and peaceful solution for Palestine to ensure their own survival?

Comments

• Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Do you think that this 'virtual defeat' may actually be a wakeup call to Israel that in order to survive, they may now need to actively compromise and come up with a permanent and peaceful solution for Palestine to ensure their own survival?
    If only... That would be great.

It should be stressed that Israel is next to invincible 'at home' and that it's still by far the strongest power in the region and in no danger of being conquered and occupied. But it is extremely refreshing that the most advanced and powerful weaponry money can buy, and relentless use of force does not guarantee success.
  • Options
    What you gotta realize that the power and advance weaponry doesn't mean squat when you are fighting in a guerilla war.
    Look at Afghanistan, Iraq, even Vietnam....
  • Options
    Israel, as a country is not under threat. What is, is their ability to go to other countries, grab land, kill and suppress enemies in their host countries.
  • Options
    ^ You may have chenged your name and your sig but everyone still knows you are a rascist.

If anyone does forget, I will be more than happy to remind them whenever you pontificate about Israel or anything else.
  • Options
    If anyone does forget, I will be more than happy to remind them whenever you pontificate about Israel or anything else.

As a matter of fact, I asked JimV to change the name before I made that post but he was on holidays so couldn't change it. If you go to Anything Goes, you'll find the real reason why I changed it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    migpilot wrote:
    What you gotta realize that the power and advance weaponry doesn't mean squat when you are fighting in a guerilla war.
    Look at Afghanistan, Iraq, even Vietnam....

Look at Chechnya still! Guerilla war by its design was meant to be able to take on the mightiest armed forces in the world. It does that amazingly well.

Afghanistan. It's the 80's. The might of the Soviet Armed Forces rolls in. Faces crushing deafeat thanks to the US-funded, trained and armed Taliban. If the Taliban had fought conventionally, it would have been outright slaughter and Afghanistan would have been USSR property. However, Guerilla war meant a crushing defeat. Same as Vietnam, but the sides reversed.

Israel should have expected this, to be fair.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:

No. It wouldn't at all surprise me if Israel had deliberately allowed itself to have been "defeated" in order to galvanise their enemies into misplaced confidence.

Israel & the US want war; that much is obvious. The action against Lebanon has been a success in that regard, raising the game with Syria & Iran and in doing so, setting up wider conflict - which is the ultimate goal.
  • Options
    ^ You may have chenged your name and your sig but everyone still knows you are a rascist.

fuck off Mat
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Israel, as a country is not under threat.

:wave:
    Israel is a disgraceful blot that should be wiped off the face of the earth

:confused:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    The fact that Israel has failed in its objective to crush Hezbollah and failed in its military goals, this must give the Arab world some confidence that with coordinated effort, Israel is very defeatable in spite of their advanced technology (nuclear weapons aside).

Just goes to show how important tactics are...
  • Options
    fuck off Mat

I love it when you snarl.
  • Options

what about his comment was racist?
  • Options
    what about his comment was racist?

Mat was probably referring to comments made on another thread.
  • Options
    :wave:

What's that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    What's that supposed to mean?

It was a hello to the comment which was baseless given the Iranian Presdents comment which I quoted.

There is a very real threat and Iran is just one of them.
  • Options
    It was a hello to the comment which was baseless given the Iranian Presdents comment which I quoted.

There is a very real threat and Iran is just one of them.

:lol: Yeah, im sure Iran is goingto invade the rest of the world. :rolleyes: He isn't stupid. The Mullah is NOT going to go on some Islamic Crusade against the Infidels. If he wanted to, he would have already done it.

When will people realise this? The biggest thread to the world is Kim Jong Il. And he is hardly a threat anyway. Even if he was, the missiles he has fall apart. Pretty much the same as half his armed forces are likley to do.

They havn't got enough money to maintain high-maintence WW2 relics...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yeah, im sure Iran is goingto invade the rest of the world.

Erm... the discussion was about Israel, not the whole world and if you think that Iran isn't a threat to Israel then perhaps you need to ask how Hamas get their funds and weapons...
  • Options
    Erm... the discussion was about Israel, not the whole world and if you think that Iran isn't a threat to Israel then perhaps you need to ask how Hamas get their funds and weapons...

Hamas is not a threat to the existence of Israel.
  • Options
    I didn't say it was, I said that Iran was (amongst others) and that part of their fight with Israel is funding Hamas.

It's the same tactics which the US used in Central America and Afghanistan.
  • Options
    I didn't say it was, I said that Iran was (amongst others) and that part of their fight with Israel is funding Hamas.

Aye.

But if Israel is invading thier country, what do they expect? To be quite fair, Israel is illegally occupying thier land... as such, the blanace of right and wrong swings into the favour of the resistance.

I bet if this were a discussion on the French Resistence during WW2, this argument wouldn't be happening. Yet Israel is commiting attrocities in land that isn't its own.

Yes, HAMAS, Hezbollah and all them are wrong. But not as wrong as Israel. If Israel wasn't slaughtering civilians or occupying someone elses land illegally, they would have a just case.

As it is, they don't.
  • Options
    I am somewhat sceptical as to how Israel has so readily accepted this truce, and as to how much of this is Bush's doing, and as to how much it is tied to the US Government's ambition to get it's claws into Iran.
    Israel still hasn't got their soldiers back which was the reason (excuse they used) they went into Lebanon. It's gonna take the best part of the month to put about 4000 soldiers on the ground in South Lebanon.

There seems to be a lot of backdoor politics going on that we obviously don't know about and I don't have a good feeling about it.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But if Israel is invading thier country, what do they expect?

Israel hasn't invaded Iran.
  • Options

Israel hasn't invaded Iran.

I was refering to the Lebanon and Palestine. Other nations with similar interets will help them.

The Soviets didn't invade America. The NVA and Vietcong didn't attack America. North Korea didn't attack America.

America still helped them, as it was in thier interests to stop the Soviet power growing.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I was refering to the Lebanon and Palestine

But why? It made no sense.

I was arguing that Iran was a threat given it's President's comments and that in an attempt to realise their threat they supported a "legitimate" fight against oppression. In this case they use Hamas to fight for them, as a proxy because they cannot do it themselves.
    The Soviets didn't invade America.

No, and the US didn't land troops in Afghanistan because they couldn't. So they used the Mudjahadeen as their proxy, hence my comment that it's the same tactics.
    The NVA and Vietcong didn't attack America.

Bad example really, certainly in comparison stakes. The corrupt South Vietnamese asked for assistance and the US fought that war directly.

If anything that war is an example of the tactics being used against them by the Soviets.
    North Korea didn't attack America.

Another terrible comparison. The US was there under a UN banner along with several other countries including our own. They were also fighting the Chinese and not the Russians.
  • Options
    But why? It made no sense.

I was arguing that Iran was a threat given it's President's comments and that in an attempt to realise their threat they supported a "legitimate" fight against oppression. In this case they use Hamas to fight for them, as a proxy because they cannot do it themselves.

Aye, true. Many countries do this. Nowt wrong with it - furthur your agenda because it fits in with someone elses. Might come back to bight you in the arse though. Has done that to America, China, and Russia now.
    No, and the US didn't land troops in Afghanistan because they couldn't. So they used the Mudjahadeen as their proxy, hence my comment that it's the same tactics.

They could have if they so chose. Only this time, it would have actually been USSR vs America. And they knew that was a bad idea. America has, for a long time, had the power to do as it pleases as no-one could challenge them (except the USSR).
    Bad example really, certainly in comparison stakes. The corrupt South Vietnamese asked for assistance and the US fought that war directly.

If anything that war is an example of the tactics being used against them by the Soviets.

The Soviets were well involved. Troops were on the ground and flying planes. I was using them as examples more of wars hte Americans sent troops to when they wern't attacked, and had no reason. So what if there was a call for help? The US didn't respond to the one in WW2 until it was directly attacked.
    Another terrible comparison. The US was there under a UN banner along with several other countries including our own. They were also fighting the Chinese and not the Russians.

There were Russians out there. They fough them. Many Soviet jet pilots got a good few kills!

We appear to be arguing two different things here though. What an odd situation.
  • Options

Without knowing how Iran's nuclear programme is progressing it's impossible to say whether they are a threat to Israel's existence.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Without knowing how Iran's nuclear programme is progressing it's impossible to say whether they are a threat to Israel's existence.

Do you think that Israel will ever take the chance of Iran geting a nuclear bomb given the regimes ideology and expressed desire to finish the work of Hitler?
  • Options
    the population love these fucking skirmishes. there's nothing the bloody middle east would like more than to see the whole world annihalted and for us all to go to heaven or hell.

i think the muslims have had enough of all that prayer they do and are inclined towards human's selfish nature to see what it was worth. so what the heck i've prayed all my life i got nothing to loose. well some of us aint religeous and it aint fair.

why can't people just be happy to live life now and wait and see what happens. i think you can only be judged by your own standards what you honestly felt was wright and wrong. hence intentional law breaking is punished in this life, and should be in the next.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

:lol: If the Mullah launches one, his country would be blown of the face of the earth.

He isn't stupid, this much is plain. :rolleyes: