Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stir frys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i have never made one before but whilst mr fussy is away or the weekend ;) i want to try some.
So post your variations of what you have and how you go about it if you can please :D.

Comments

• Options
    I did a quorn one for GCSE. It was shite. Had to make the box too. That was also crap!

I like thai 7 spice with chicken or pork. Mange toute, baby corn, chinese cabbage, bean sprouts, chinese mushrooms, spring onions and carrots.
    served with brown basmati rice. also, put some cajun in when cooking the rice.
  • Options
    The biggest thing to remember is speed, make sure everything is ready before you start, then keep the cooking time to a bare minimum, otherwise the veg will go all soft and nasty.

Meat, veg, soy sauce, teriaki sauce, sweet chilli sauce and chinese 5 spice - simple and tastes good.
  • Options
    get one of those bags from the supermarket with all the veg included, and a sauce.

fry the meat, chuck the sauce in, then the veg, fry for a few mins and booom tasty meal.

serve with plain boiled or steamed rice for me(i prefer basmati rice). or noodles is good too.
  • Options
    Noodles i think as i love them. So with the meat i just fry it yeah? Don't need to cook it beforehand? Sorry that probably sounds stupid but i don't wanna poison James lol
  • Options
    As you've never made one before Tweet, 2 things to remember.

1. Get all your ingredients prepared first. The idea is quick, intense cooking so everything retains it's 'crunch' so you can't be larking about with the cellophane wrapping of your bean sprouts while your mange tout are burning !

2. HOT HOT HOT. You've got to keep that wok as hot as you possibly can.

The veg vicky suggested are all good. Water chestnuts are good too, only about 50p a can and really crunchy. Chinese 5 spice is good, but it does have an aniseedy twang to it, so if you don't like liqucorice i wouldn't use it. Blue Dragon, do a good range of sauces, in little sachets so you're dish isn't swamped in sauce. Chicken and thin strips of beef seem to be the best meats to use. Beef, green pepper and onion go very well together with black bean or oyster sauce. If you don't like really salty food, go for yellow bean sauce.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    The biggest thing to remember is speed, make sure everything is ready before you start

I was going to say that !
  • Options
    OK thanks everyone.
    Anyone recommend sauces that are yummy?
    I'm not keen on black bean sauces or sweet and sour type things or seafood stuff.
    Other than that i am not fussy lol.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    So with the meat i just fry it yeah? Don't need to cook it beforehand? Sorry that probably sounds stupid but i don't wanna poison James lol

The meat will be one of the first things you need to put in.

Onions and garlic and meat and spices, cook for a bit. Things like peppers, mange tout next. Cook for a bit. Mushrooms/beansprouts/sauce (if you put the sauce in first, you'll just boil everything). Cook for a bit. Then anything that doesn't need actually cooking, just heating through like water chestnuts/fruit
  • Options
    Peking lemon - good with chicken and fatty meats like pork/duck

Szechuan - spicy tomato flavour

Yellow bean - not as overpowering as black bean

Oyster - rich, salty. Goes well will pork and especially beef and of course seafood
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    OK thanks everyone.
    Anyone recommend sauces that are yummy?
    I'm not keen on black bean sauces or sweet and sour type things or seafood stuff.
    Other than that i am not fussy lol.

make your own?
  • Options
    sweet chilli, lemon and sesame, Kung Pao
  • Options
    my fave sauces are sweet chilli or szechuan. or thai curry sauce which can be found in the fridge section.
  • Options
    You don't always need a sauce, have a look at the spice rack in supermarkets
  • Options
    I really like the Chinese sauce they use in stir-fry chicken dishes, it's not spicy, clear/yellowy (maybe?) colour and a bit sweet. I dunno what it is though. :(
  • Options
    my sis did a black bean one with chicken which was really nice. normally i'm not keen on black bean sauce but this was yum. she put courgettes in it and umm..can't remember what else!
  • Options
    would have been alright without the courgettes :yuck:
  • Options
    i don't like them cooked normally but in a stir fry they were really nice. i also like them in veg lasagne.
  • Options
  • Options
    At the start? Or would you sprinkle over afterwards?

hehe made me chuckle
  • Options
    my sis did a black bean one with chicken which was really nice. normally i'm not keen on black bean sauce but this was yum. she put courgettes in it and umm..can't remember what else!

i read that fast and thought u said she put cigarettes in it ha!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    You don't always need a sauce, have a look at the spice rack in supermarkets

Yeah I would go with that, my own preference and is to keep stuff simple you don't want to put too many different ingredients in as you lose the taste from the more delicately flavoured ingredients, its always to put contrasting flavours in, if I was to make one I would use fillet of beef cut as fine as you can. As already mentioned get your pan as hot as possible, ideally till the oil begins too smoke, I like to use peanut oil, an easy combination of veg that will work well is carrots, broccoli and mushrooms very simple but work very well together, fry your beef off add your veggies, a bit of garlic and ginger, 5 spice half an oxo cube a little water and a bit of cornflower.
  • Options
    I would just like to say i made my first one the other day and it was gorgeous AND James loved it and ate every mouthful :D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    I would just like to say i made my first one the other day and it was gorgeous AND James loved it and ate every mouthful :D
    well done my love :D
  • Options
    Don't make the same mistake I did - I used white cabbage as a base for my stir fry, and fed it to my younger brother, who ate it all and asked for more. Bear in mind he is excessively windy at the best of times ... :sour:
  • Options
    Don't make the same mistake I did - I used white cabbage as a base for my stir fry, and fed it to my younger brother, who ate it all and asked for more. Bear in mind he is excessively windy at the best of times ... :sour:

:lol: it did have white cabbage in it but not much.
  • Options
    I had stir-fry tonight. It was yum.
  • Options
    I was making an uber stirfry for my whole family, and used a whole cabbage to bulk it out. SUCH a bad idea!
  • Options
    what did you put in it tweety?
  • Options
    what did you put in it tweety?

Beansprouts, chicken, mix of veg, chow main sauce and noodles.:yum: